Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Any tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Any tips

I took my fiancé to the range yesterday, and was wondering if anybody has any tips on how I can teach her to get her groups tighter. She had fun and that's mostly all I care about, but I think she would have even more fun with a smaller grouping.

This is what in working with at 5 yards.

image-1785639164.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Amorris,

First of all be patient and do not expect too much out of her too soon! For her first time out that is a good target. I would say from what I see, instruct her in the stance that fits her best. Notice I did not say the proper stance. The proper stance for one person may not be the exact proper stance for another. Do not expect her to have the upper body and arm strength that you have. So do not burn her out by allowing her to shoot until she gets tired and starts stringing the rounds on the target. Women believe it or not, are easier to teach than men due to the fact they will listen and do not have that male attitude I know I know! And one thing diagnosing the target is that you need to be sure she is locked in on her wrists when shooting "Weak Hand Supported" Support Thumb along the side of the pistol not behind the slide. And the main thing I see is for her to BE SURE to focus on the FRONT SIGHT when shooting. Depending on how close you were it seems she was looking at the sights then the target while firing. Tell her the Target should look blurry and the rear sight should look a little blurry and the front sight should look clear and focused!!!! This is the hardest thing to teach a new shooter. They want to focus on the Target when the round goes off. That is wat I see! Good luck and let her have fun! It will develop into tighter groups in the future if you do not preasure her or discourage her regarding being too demanding.
Great that you are taking her shooting. Just adding to another person who learns shooting and the shooting sport is fun!And who will support our Second Amendment due to their new found enjoyment. And if you both tie the knot some day in the future? You will not have someone who does not like guns, gripes and complains and who will also understand when you want a new weapon someday. WARNING! It may come to yes you can have that new gun! But I am looking at this one for me also! LOL!
Good Shooting! And keep taking her to the range!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 09-14-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6072 Times on 3335 Posts
Likes Given: 11642

Just appreciate her accompaniment at the range and shared interest in arms. You are a very fortunate man to have such a lady.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Try a different colored gun, that pink has to go!

(and do everything Sniper just posted)

Old 09-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I definitely like having a range partner, she used to be very liberal when it came to firearms but now that I have her shooting she loves it! As far as the pink gun goes that's what she wanted so that's what she got, I was just happy she wanted her own.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Sign her up for a handgun class.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I agree with this. Just as in music, painting etc, sometimes a change of teachers can open the world up to you easier than another can. Don't put a limit on her 'education'

Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
If she wanted to then I would in a heartbeat, but I don't think she is as concerned about getting smaller groups as I am. Yesterday she said "if I put them all in one spot then I won't know I hit the target" but I think this was more to mess with me while I was trying to teach her. As long as she is having fun and enjoys shooting with me that's all that matters.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1644 Times on 980 Posts
Likes Given: 808

Back to the basics!!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 09-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #10

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Encourage her to shoot a perfect circle,

and try to shoot out the nine ring on the target.

It helps to have a fun goal.