any countries more pro-gun than the US - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

any countries more pro-gun than the US

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrrt View Post
Yet.............once he gets the supreme court justices that share his views, we may be in trouble.
Until that time happens, I am not going to waste any of my time worrying about something that might or might not happen.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock
Are there any guns out there that are equivalent to or perhaps more pro-gun than America?
The Swiss are very interesting;

In Switzerland, all guns are registered and handgun purchases require a background check and a permit. Military service for Swiss males is REQUIRED, and even before required training begins recruits can take an optional course with the Swiss army's M57 auto rifle; they keep that gun at "home". After the first training period conscripts must keep the gun and ammunition in their homes for the duration of service. Enlisted men are issued M57 automatic rifles and officers are given pistols, and each reservist is issued 24 rounds of ammunition in sealed packs for so-called emergency use. After discharge from service the government gives ex-reservists the rifles. Officers that carry pistols rather than rifles are given their pistols the end of their service (maybe the only time that it sucks to be an officer). When the government adopts a new infantry rifle they actually sell the old ones to the public. Moreover, military ammunition is sold at cost by the government although it must be registered if bought at a private store, but not registered if bought at a range. Add to this, the army also sells a variety of machine guns, submachine guns, anti-tank weapons, anti-aircraft guns, howitzers and cannons, which require an easily obtained license, and these weapons are obviously registered.

According to the figures, of six million people there are at least two million guns, including 600,00 fully automatic rifles and half a million pistols. Virtually every home has a gun. Besides subsidised military surplus, the Swiss can also buy other firearms easily too. While long guns require no special purchase procedures, handguns are sold only to those with a purchase certificate. A certificate is issued to every applicant over 18 who is not a criminal or mentally infirm.

* There are no restrictions on the carrying of long guns.

* Semi-automatic rifles require no purchase permit and are not registered by the government.

* The only long guns registered by the government are full automatics.

* Gun sales from one individual to another are regulated in some parts of the country, but not others

* Retail gun dealers do keep records of over-the-counter gun transactions; transactions are not reported to or collected by the government

As a note the Swiss also have one of the lowest crime rates in the world. If you've ever been or lived there you would understand why. The majority of its citizens follow the law "to the letter", I once got yelled at by a guy for jaywalking across a small street.

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 12-18-2012 at 11:01 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7986 Times on 4369 Posts
Likes Given: 7727

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrrt View Post
yet.............once he gets the supreme court justices that share his views, we may be in trouble.

we will be in trouble

Or at least they did before political correctness
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 12-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #14

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post

In Switzerland, all guns are registered and handgun purchases require a background check and a permit. But military service for Swiss males is required and even before required training begins, recruits can take an optional courses with the Swiss army's M57 assault rifle, they keep that gun at "home". After the first training period, conscripts must keep gun, ammunition in their homes. Enlisted men are issued M57 automatic assault rifles and officers are given pistol, also each reservist is issued 24 rounds of ammunition in sealed packs for emergency use. After discharge from service, the government gives ex-reservists the rifles. Officers carry pistols rather than rifles and are given their pistols the end of their service (sucks to be officer). When the government adopts a new infantry rifle, it sells the old ones to the public. Moreover, citizens are encouraged to buy military ammunition which is sold at cost by the government, for target practice, additionally military ammo must be registered if bought at a private store, but need not be registered if bought at a range. Add to this, the army sells a variety of machine guns, submachine guns, anti-tank weapons, anti-aircraft guns, howitzers and cannons, which require an easily obtained license, and the weapons are registered. According to the figures, of six million people there are at least two million guns, including 600,00 fully automatic rifles and half a million pistols. Virtually every home has a gun. Besides subsidised military surplus, the Swiss can also buy other firearms easily too. While long guns require no special purchase procedures, handguns are sold only to those with a purchase certificate. A certificate is issued to every applicant over 18 who is not a criminal or mentally infirm.

* Semi-automatic rifles require no purchase permit and are not registered by the government.

* Gun sales from one individual to another are regulated in some parts of the country, but not others

* Retail gun dealers do keep records of over-the-counter gun transactions; transactions are not reported to or collected by the government
Loving the sound of this. Problem is the three national languages are German french and itailian.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #15

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The only thing about the Swiss that I have found I don't like (per my own research) is that many/most public ranges are restricted in the firearms that can be used on their range. This is according to the only article I've been able to find on the particular subject. Supposedly, state run ranges over there only allow something like 3 or 4 different guns in a select few calibers The rest are banned from use on those ranges.

But their ranges are state of the art. Targetless I believe. You shoot through a sensor field that's much like a chronograph and it prints you off a virtual target and score sheet in your booth, showing your score and virtual impacts. It senses where the built passes through the apparatus. No cold ranges because there's no reason for anyone to go downrange. Most ranges also have customizable booths. Hard to explain, I'll see if I can find the article and link it in.

They also usually have shooters lounges where beer is served all day...

Yet one of the lowest violent crime rates, specifically gun crime rates, in the world....

Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #16

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

My ranges here limit which guns I can shoot. As long as I can shoot the gun the militia would issue me I'm happy

Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #17

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
My ranges here limit which guns I can shoot. As long as I can shoot the gun the militia would issue me I'm happy
It would be fun wouldn't it?

It's also interesting the Switzerland is also the only country I believe in the world that has a 1 year stockpile of food for each and every citizen housed away in emergency shelters! I've read somewhere too, that if invaded, they can completely mobilize in like 1/2 a day!!!

Quote:

Loving the sound of this. Problem is the three national languages are German french and itailian.
No worries, the Swiss are masters at language and English is for the most part well understood, probably better than some Americans to be honest.

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 12-18-2012 at 05:35 PM.
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude

In Switzerland, all guns are registered and handgun purchases require a background check and a permit. Military service for Swiss males is required and even before required training begins recruits can take an optional courses with the Swiss army's M57 auto rifle, they keep that gun at "home". After the first training period conscripts must keep the gun and ammunition in their homes for the duration of service. Enlisted men are issued M57 automatic rifles and officers are given pistol and each reservist is issued 24 rounds of ammunition in sealed packs for so-called emergency use. After discharge from service the government gives ex-reservists the rifles. Officers carry pistols rather than rifles and are given their pistols the end of their service (maybe the only time that it sucks to be officer). When the government adopts a new infantry rifle they actually sell the old ones to the public. Moreover, military ammunition is sold at cost by the government although it must be registered if bought at a private store, but not registered if bought at a range. Add to this, the army also sells a variety of machine guns, submachine guns, anti-tank weapons, anti-aircraft guns, howitzers and cannons, which require an easily obtained license, and these weapons are obviously registered.

According to the figures, of six million people there are at least two million guns, including 600,00 fully automatic rifles and half a million pistols. Virtually every home has a gun. Besides subsidised military surplus, the Swiss can also buy other firearms easily too. While long guns require no special purchase procedures, handguns are sold only to those with a purchase certificate. A certificate is issued to every applicant over 18 who is not a criminal or mentally infirm.

As a note the Swiss also have one of the lowest crime rates in the world. If you've ever been or lived there you would understand why. The majority of its citizens follow the law " to the letter", I once got yelled at by a guy for jaywalking across a small street.
This sounds like a sweet deal

Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #19

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

And don't forget their 'Army knives'. They're a fierce population to contend with even without their firearms!

Seriously though, itís a vastly different culture, and if youíre even a little bit out of the ordinary, their ordinary, expect to be shunned and alienated at best. They have a lot of laws: when you can do laundry; you cannot wash your car on a Sunday; etc. The famous Swiss rail system is on schedule 98% of the time. When itís not, however, their trains can be late by as much a two minutes! Conformity is prized; to standards, to rules, to behavior, etc.

Which why the crime rate is so low, not because of the firearms.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Pro Gun.......

America, and Russia, Only thing is the Russians have made a bigger profit selling thier guns to other countries. Thats why they are pro gun, but not in the USSR........