Any body here hunt with a pistol?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Any body here hunt with a pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any body here hunt with a pistol?

I just started hunting last year and thought it would be a challenge with a hand gun.
I bought a Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull.

So far Ive taken three hogs with it. MAN,,,This thing is fun to shoot, and the recoil is not bad at all with the ported barrel. I can shoot the gun with one hand.

CaptRickHiott

Charleston,SC

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

We had a thread on this a while back, but sometimes it's hard to find older threads.

I was surprised to learn that there are quite a few who hunt with pistols, and now I'm thinking of trying it out myself. I was also really surprised to learn at one point in the conversation that apparently there is a SPEAR season in Alabama. Wow. Something else I'll have to try out one day.

On another note, you look a lot like a few of my relatives. You wouldn't happen to have family ties to central MS would you?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

Like I said,,the recoil on this Taurus is very smooth,,click on the video.

This is while shoting a Magtech 260Gr @ 1800fps.

What is "SPEAR season"?

Sorry,,,No family in MS

CaptRickHiott

Charleston,SC

Old 12-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Besides using a Ruger .22 auto for bunnies, I deer hunt with a Dan Wesson 15-2HVB, .357, 10 inch barrel. I use heavy cast solid handloads, and am hunting in an area where 50 yards in a long shot.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #5

Hi
I am a handgun hunter some of my favorites have been a ruger super blackhawk in 44 mag a ruger super red hawk in 454 casull a smith and Wesson in 500 smith and Wesson mag and a Thompson center encore in 460 smith and Wesson mag
Love them all

Old 12-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #6

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I have a Contender Pistol in 7-30 Waters I am planning on using for deer next year.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #7

I almost bought a S/W 460 revolver,,but after I shot the Taurus R/B 454,, I had to have it.
To me the .500 is just to much gun......

My longest shot so far was when I shot those two gold hogs you see in the back of the truck at about 35-40 yards, freehand. I was pretty excited.

CaptRickHiott

Charleston,SC

Old 12-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Blackhawk in .41 mag. Coyote killer!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If you do ever go 460sw, I believe they can be used to shoot both 454cas and 45colt as well. Lots of versaility, but those 460's are monsters ballistically...probably more power than really necessary in the lower 48.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have hunted almost exclusively with handguns for more than twenty years and have learned a few things along the way. A few notes that may be helpful:

Handguns, generally do not kill with velocity in the same way that rifles do. Bullet placement, design, penetration and application account for more performance than does power. Select your bullet based on intended use and performance capabilities of the cartridge.

I have found that I prefer the felt recoil of a larger caliber, heavy bullet loaded to lower pressures than a smaller caliber, light weight bullet loaded to high pressures. As a general rule, a larger bore diameter will drive a given weight bullet to the same velocity with lower pressure as the next smaller caliber. This is more important to the handloader than to the shooter that uses typically available factory ammo, as it allows for a lot of flexibility within almost any cartridge.

Generally speaking, I do not load any of my big bore revolvers to full potential. Because I have a broad selection to choose from, if I need more power than what a moderate load in a given caliber delivers, I step up to a milder load in a larger caliber. This relates to what I was talking about previously. As an example, if I require more power than a .44 mag delivers with a 250 grain bullet, I step up to the .454 Casull loaded with a 335 grain bullet at a moderate for caliber velocity. This results in lower pressures and what I feel is a more enjoyable recoil impulse than the sharp slap of the .44 loaded heavier.

Hard cast bullets (non-expanding) of proper design perform just as well, and even better in some applications, than JHP bullets. Any big bore handgun shooter would benefit greatly from reading "jacketed performance with cast bullets" by Veral Smith of LBT bullets.

More power will not kill any better than less power if you cannot place the bullet precisely. A bad shot will almost always result in a long day of tracking a wounded animal, that all too often is not found. This, in my opinion, is the worst type of hunting irresponsibility.

If I had to choose only one caliber, it would likely be the .45 Colt in a Ruger single action or gun of similar strength.

The .45, when carefully and properly handloaded, will reliably and humanely take any game animal in the lower 48. Loaded to standard velocity with lighter bullets, it is perfectly suitable for smaller game such as larger rabbits and similar small game. The flexibility of this old workhorse is pretty hard to beat.

Another poster mentioned the .460 Smith, and I cannot argue the broad flexibility of that cartridge. I do not own one and likely never will. My preference is for handguns that are smaller in size and easier to pack than the X-frame hand cannons of Smith and Wesson. I feel the same about such guns as the TC Encore and contender. Why carry a handgun thAt weighs as much as a carbine? While they are indeed handguns, they do not fit with my view of what a handgun should be. In my opinion, there is little difference from shooting a scoped 10, 12 or 14 inch barreled handgun vs. just shooting a rifle.

None of my hunting pistols wear a scope, and only one, a Freedom Arms in .454, has a six inch or longer barrel. The rest are either 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrels. While my average shot is less than fifty yards, I have made clean kills at distances of over 150 yards. I do not have a set distance limit. Rather, I let the conditions dictate whether or not a shot is reasonable to take. Is this animal broadside or quartering? How big is the ideal target area? Is the animal moving or stationary? Can I achieve a comfortable and stable stance/rest that will allow acceptable accuracy? Is the lighting such that I can see the sights and target clearly and in sharp contrast? These are the types of things that a handgun hunter MUST consider before taking any shot. There are times I will pass up a lot of shots waiting for the one I really like. No matter what platform or caliber you select, make every effort to be an ethical hunter that always strives for the clean kill.

Hunting with a handgun presents some unique challenges and is incredibly rewarding. It's also addictive!!

JW