Another new guy thread... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Another new guy thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I also appreciate everyone's input!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been shooting for over 60 years and my mind has never been able to compute the "one gun" concept. I have one gun for each of many purposes. The gun I keep by my bed is a Glock model 23C (.40 cal.) with a tactical strobe and laser light on it. It is not that much fun to shoot but if I shoot it it won't be for fun. I think it holds about 15 rounds but that is 14 more than I will likely need. The fun gun is the SA XDM 9mm. 19+1 and the best shooting gun I have including that over priced Kimber, among others.

I too am not familar with blue and yellow cards. In Alabama and not a criminal you can buy as many as you can carry home, anytime. I think I heard that if you buy more than 5 in one day you have to fill out some sort of form. I try to limit my guns to no more than one a day. LOL And if you want a CCW permit, go the the sheriff's office and give them $20 and you are good to go.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossman
I've been shooting for over 60 years and my mind has never been able to compute the "one gun" concept. I have one gun for each of many purposes. The gun I keep by my bed is a Glock model 23C (.40 cal.) with a tactical strobe and laser light on it. It is not that much fun to shoot but if I shoot it it won't be for fun. I think it holds about 15 rounds but that is 14 more than I will likely need. The fun gun is the SA XDM 9mm. 19+1 and the best shooting gun I have including that over priced Kimber, among others.

I too am not familar with blue and yellow cards. In Alabama and not a criminal you can buy as many as you can carry home, anytime. I think I heard that if you buy more than 5 in one day you have to fill out some sort of form. I try to limit my guns to no more than one a day. LOL And if you want a CCW permit, go the the sheriff's office and give them $20 and you are good to go.
I guess my reason for the "1 gun" scenario was to draw out the best of the best in handguns.

I live in RI and in order to purchase a small firearm you have to take a test that shows you have some sort of safety reasoning. You pass, you get a blue card from the DEM that says you can purchase a small firearm. You can purchase rifles without a blue card but NOT small firearms. We also have the 7 day "cool down" period that you have to wait for EVERY purchase....sucks.

That being said, in order to "carry" a sidearm, you have to apply for a special permit and have a legitimate reason to NEED to carry. The 2nd amendment is not an acceptable need.

New England gun laws stink.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #24

Got my blue card today boys!!! I can legally purchase a handgun. A few 1911's I have my eyeball on too....

image-3608429387.jpg  

Old 02-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #25

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post

yet another 1911 vote
This is what I like.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Scott welcome to the club!! I also live in RI. FYI Heritage gun and coin and Daves have good prices. Most RI gun stores have serious customer service issues be warned. I have to give a Glock and Springfield the nod as a first gun. 9mm or 40sw is my pick. Best of Luck!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemotte
Hey Scott welcome to the club!! I also live in RI. FYI Heritage gun and coin and Daves have good prices. Most RI gun stores have serious customer service issues be warned. I have to give a Glock and Springfield the nod as a first gun. 9mm or 40sw is my pick. Best of Luck!
So far I've only dealt with Big Bear in Harmony on Rte 44. Bought 2 rifles there. I've been in and out of Bullseye here in the city but no purchases yet. Taking a ride down to D&L Saturday to see what he has to offer.

Where do you shoot by the way?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Scott I use the state range near U.R.I April through September and then American Firearms school all winter!! You can print the application on the DEM website and send it now! Its free!!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemotte
Scott I use the state range near U.R.I April through September and then American Firearms school all winter!! You can print the application on the DEM website and send it now! Its free!!
I'm still new with this but how are you transporting your firearms when going into MA? Or do you rent firearms there? American Firearms ui in Attleboro right?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have to rent... if not its a felony... Those are nasty! ! AFS is decent albeit expensive! Typical 9mm rental with 4 boxes of ammo can run $80+