Another first handgun question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Another first handgun question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnake View Post
Hi to all,
I do appreciate your help and sharing your experience in this area. I took note of many points so far - most you don't find on books. IMO I do value more recommendations than reading a book about Glocks or other biased magazines full of marketing hype.

The Top list I was referring to, was somewhat a categorization of overall best brands around or best value for money. Easy to say i know, as the variables are infinite however in general I would say a toyota car is better than peugeot or fiat considering the same class of cars. You know what I'm talking about .

For now, i believe the CZ Shadow is the No1 on my shopping list. I heard very good comments and my experience so far on the range with this brand is positive.

These days, I'll go to have a look at Kimber Custom II. Esthetically on the net looks wow however look don't impress me much and my pocket.

I might look however into SS frames for more stability and to absorb more recoil but depends on the $$$ again.

Guess that's it for now. In the meantime i'll take your advise and i'll try other models on the range ad nausea....

THANKS again for now to all comments..very helpful.

Good luck,
M.
CZ75 SP-01 Shadow is an EXCELLENT CHOICE! VIDEO>

It's a packable, light weight, accurate pistol. If you found one, GET IT! They are sort of hard to find.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The main thing you need to do is go to a range that will let you rent/shoot as many differeny kinds of pistols as possible.
One thing(among others) that I don't care for with polymer framed pistols is the fact that most of the weight is in the slide and barrel. What this means is the recoil,altho not bad at all,will feel sharper than with alloy or steel framed pistols because most of the mass weight is moving back quickly and then returning to battery.
Without knowing your budget it's hard to really help you choose. One example is the excellent para ordnance lineup of 1911 type pistols. Altho it's not faithful to traditional 1911 single actions,the LDA line offers the best of both worlds-1911 AND dao. The trigger pull on these pistols is so smooth and light that the very first time I shot 1,I thought the darn thing was broke. Be forewarned however that they are a bit pricey when compared to other factory pistols(600-800$).

Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #13

The budget allocated to my first firearm is around $900 - $1100.
The CZ SP 01 i found it priced at $960 / 736 euros

I am not very much aquanted with Paras and High Standard however I'm aware of these brands. Some argued the newer HS guns are of less quality than other ones.

Is there a good link explaining SA/DA principles in depth. I know that in DA mode the trigger is harder to pull than in SA mode. This is a safetly precaution.
Correct me guys if i'm saying bull***

Cheers again.

M.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It's not a safety precaution. In DA mode, you are having to pull back the hammer via the trigger all the way to sear release. This takes a lot more finger pull energy than simply releasing your hammer sear in SA mode.

My CZ75B is DA/SA and it's very pleasant to shoot in DA, but after the first shot it's operating in SA mode. My Ruger P345 is exactly the same way. But the Ruger takes more pull than than the CZ for the first shot.