Another first handgun question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Another first handgun question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Another first handgun question

Hi,
I've been reading through many threads, reading many advices given to first time pistol buyers.

Although I do have a wider knowledge and a limited budget, I am still confused. I read one and say to myself THIS but then see another model and hmmm..this seems to be better or???!!....

I am opting for a 9mm pistol for target shooting/bulls-eye. I've been shooting with a rented CZ 75 and I am highly impressed with it's accuracy. Had nice groupings from 15 and 25 meters.

However, been looking around at other CZ models, HKs and Glocks today.
Well I liked the HK P30L and HK USP Custom Sports which SEEMS to be brilliant and quality guns however quite on the expensive side.

RE Glock, the overall impression is nuetral to so and so, due to its flimsy cheap feel. Also heard that they've got a high recoil.

RE CZ75 SP01, I am biasing towards this manfacturer however it is too early to buy (i think!). Which version would anyone suggest shadow, tactical, compact?.

Also, what should I look for apart from hand grip?. Polymer vs stainless vs alloy vs...???What is nice to have and advisable to have...

Where does SIG and STI brands fall in the Top 5 pistol list?.

Adjustable sights?

Decocking facility?

Firing pin block?

Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What exactly is your spending cap?

Do you plan on customizing for firearm later on, or leaving it "stock"?

As you know, this will be a hard question for anyone on here to answer for you.

I will say that you'd be hard pressed to find someone saying bad stuff about the CZ pistols.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnake View Post
Well I liked the HK P30L and HK USP Custom Sports which SEEMS to be brilliant and quality guns however quite on the expensive side.
I would say steer clear of HK for your first gun out of the gate. They do make a good pistol, but they are expense and their customer service is complete crap to be totally honest. I only have three times dealing with them for reference, once for myself and twice for shop customers, but HK doesn't seem to give two squirts once they have your money from what I have personally seen.

Quote:
RE Glock, the overall impression is nuetral to so and so, due to its flimsy cheap feel. Also heard that they've got a high recoil.
I don't like Glocks. Period. It's just a personal thing. Nothing against the weapon itself.

Quote:
Also, what should I look for apart from hand grip?. Polymer vs stainless vs alloy vs...???What is nice to have and advisable to have...
Polymer is going to be cheaper, alloy would be next and Stainless Steel is probably going to be the most expensive. But, the SS is probably going to last the longest and have the least amount of wear and tear on it. I personally don't suffer from Shiny Kit Syndrome, so I don't own any firearms in SS.

Quote:
What is the criteria of the list? I wouldn't put either company in my top 5, but that is because my top 5 would be all about the 1911.

Quote:
Adjustable sights?
On a self defense, or a weekend range pistol, I have NEVER understood why you need adjustable sights unless you have an anomaly problem like being RH dominant and Left Eye dominant ( or vice versa ). If you are only getting adjustable sights to "adjust" for wind conditions or something like that - why would you bother? Adjustable sights are sharper, they are bulkier and they can get caught on everything from your holster to your shirt. I personally hate adjustable pistol sights....

Quote:
Decocking facility?
It's a nice feature, but I don't believe it is a required feature. The 1911 has been in production, and service, for over 100 years and it has never featured a manual decocker.

Quote:
Firing pin block?
I believe this does lead to a safer overall firearm. I don't believe it is required, but it is a very good and sound feature.

Hope that helps - I am sure others will be along shortly to voice an opinion...

JD

Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnake View Post
Hi,
I've been reading through many threads, reading many advices given to first time pistol buyers.

Although I do have a wider knowledge and a limited budget, I am still confused. I read one and say to myself THIS but then see another model and hmmm..this seems to be better or???!!....

I am opting for a 9mm pistol for target shooting/bulls-eye. I've been shooting with a rented CZ 75 and I am highly impressed with it's accuracy. Had nice groupings from 15 and 25 meters.

RE CZ75 SP01, I am biasing towards this manfacturer however it is too early to buy (i think!). Which version would anyone suggest shadow, tactical, compact?.

Adjustable sights?

Decocking facility?

Firing pin block?

Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers
For what it's worth, I am a very happy CZ75B owner. I don't have the decocking option and so far, I don't miss it. My CZ75 is the S&W .40 caliber. I prefer alloy frames over polymer, however I receintly purchased a P345 Ruger and the polymer frame is exceptional. 9mm is a good caliber as it's economic for target shooting and reasonably effective for self defence.

Here is a photo of my CZ75B... This is on FINE Auto-loader! This is a no-frills handgun, no adjustable sights, no decocker, no transfer bar. Just POINT & SHOOT! I can keep a 1.125" group at 20 yards with it. AND, it's 12+1

Last edited by Mark F; 10-14-2008 at 12:57 AM.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 AM   #5
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Shop for a handgun just like you do for shoes. TRY 'EM ON. Get yer hands on every handgun you can find. A few of them will "feel" pretty good with your eyes closed..... before too long, you'll find one that feels "just right". Pursue that one. Chances are, that particular frame is made in various calibers. If you buy a handgun that doesn't "feel right" in your hands, you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it...... and you may as well carry a ball bat.

Would you buy shoes like mine, just because I like 'em, without trying them on first ?

Just my two cents.......

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #6

Well My first suggestion is for a place to buy your gun when you decide what you want .

Go to Gunbroker www.Gunbroker.com and pull up their dealer finder and punch in your zip code .

You could very well get lucky and find a FFL within a couple of miles from you that deals strictly from their home and do so with a minimum of markup on the guns .

These guys never have an indoor range where you can test fire a gun but they often have a small inventory of perhaps a dozen or so weapons you may have never seen or considered before and these guy are usually old timers with tons of knowledge to help you .

No idea where those makers or any other fall in a Top whatever list but I know I have read good things about both brands STI makes several models of the 1911 in calibers from 9mm ,40 S&W and 45 acp , a word of caution with STI though some of their models have squared trigger guards which will make it hard to find a holster for the gun so make sure it has a rounded guard if you get one .

Their Spartan I believe is their entry level copy of the Government model in 45 acp only .

If you're looking at a DA/SA weapon you might want to look at Taurus they have models in 9 , 40 , 357 sig and 45 , I have one of their PT 940's in 40 S&W and really like the gun I can carry it , hammer down safety off/on or in condition one like a 1911 hammer cocked safety on .

Being an old 1911 man like JD I don't shoot it that great but my son picked it on a range outing asked when I bought it and if he could shoot it and then proceeded to hit 4 inch round swingers at about 15 yards with every shot .

Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bluesnake, 10/14/08

First it is good that you have picked your caliber-9mm- which is a good caliber to learn on and cheaper than a lot of other calibers to practice with except .22. Next you have picked the purpose of your pistol- which is target and range use meaning you don't necessarily need a light or small pistol. So far so good.

Next you need to pick what type of pistol action you want- DAO (double action only like the Glock, Springfield XD, SW M&P, HK-LEM, and Sig DAK), TDA (traditional double action with a double action first shot and single action shots thereafter) or a SAO (single action like most 1911's). The CZ 75 you rented is probably a TDA and is a great pistol. The HK's come in both TDA and DAO (LEM) and while they are fine pistols I think they are overpriced and the double action trigger pull is often terrible (I have the USP-compact .45). Parts availability is often slim to none. The Glock is a fine pistol in a DAO format and for your purposes I'd take a look at the Glock-34. Mine came with adjustable sights which are fine for your purposes (I'd recommend fixed sights if it was for carry or home-defense) and it is in 9mm and shoots great.

Once you have decided on your action type you need to decide which frame type feels best in your hands- polymer, aluminum or steel. I like stainless frames for range guns- they soak up the recoil well. I like aluminum framed guns for carry- they are light. I don't like the polymer guns as well as the metal framed ones- just my preference.

As for the firing-pin-blocking safety- it comes standard with most pistols today and for most applications it is a reasonable safety feature.

A decocker is a nice addition if you want to carry your pistol with the hammer down on a loaded chamber for a TDA pistol. It simplifies dropping the hammer from its single-action position to the double-action position.

As for the top five manufacturers, it may depend on your projected use. I own a number of different manufacturer's pistols and the following have been reliable and accurate- Springfield 1911's, Glock, HK, Sig, SW third generation metal pistols, Beretta and CZ. You need to try out the various offerings and then make a decision on what fits you best. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Last edited by oldandslow; 10-14-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: correction

Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bluesnake,

It all boils down to what YOU like. We all have our preferences. I do think you need to go to the range and try out several guns before you spend your money.

I bought a Smith & Wesson 410S 40 Caliber without trying one at the gun range. I spent big bucks on it, only to discover I hated that gun with a passion! Eventually, I traded it for my CZ75B.

Here is a comparison of my Ruger Polymer frame .45, and my alloy frame CZ75B .40. The CZ weighs 1/2 pound more than the Ruger. But, the CZ holds 12+1 rounds of S&W 40 and the Ruger holds 8+1 rounds 45 ACP. Neither conceal great, but the Ruger is a little narrower and a little shorter. Both have about the same felt recoil, but the CZ has a little sharper crack to it, when fired. They both cost about the same to shoot, roughly $17.00 a box of 50 target ammo. That's only 3.00 more than 9mm and a whole lot more knock down power.

I sort of favor the CZ, because that alloy frame with Hogue grips feels so good in my hand. Plus I like having the extra rounds. BUT, my Ruger is a 45 ACP and its more "expendable" than the CZ, so it stays in my vehicle.

Last edited by Mark F; 10-14-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #9

Well I really like the Glocks because of the way they fit my hand and the way I can shoot them. But if I were you I would shoot as many guns as you can then decide. My glocks are kind of my beat to hell guns vs. my Kimber that is my baby. I shoot well with all of them but it really depends on what you are going to use it for. Go with your gut. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #10

Default RE:

Hi to all,
I do appreciate your help and sharing your experience in this area. I took note of many points so far - most you don't find on books. IMO I do value more recommendations than reading a book about Glocks or other biased magazines full of marketing hype.

The Top list I was referring to, was somewhat a categorization of overall best brands around or best value for money. Easy to say i know, as the variables are infinite however in general I would say a toyota car is better than peugeot or fiat considering the same class of cars. You know what I'm talking about .

For now, i believe the CZ Shadow is the No1 on my shopping list. I heard very good comments and my experience so far on the range with this brand is positive.

These days, I'll go to have a look at Kimber Custom II. Esthetically on the net looks wow however look don't impress me much and my pocket.

I might look however into SS frames for more stability and to absorb more recoil but depends on the $$$ again.

Guess that's it for now. In the meantime i'll take your advise and i'll try other models on the range ad nausea....

THANKS again for now to all comments..very helpful.

Good luck,
M.