Andrews Custom Leather
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Andrews Custom Leather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Andrews Custom Leather

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Does anybody have any experience with this company? I did a forum search and did not get very many results. I am mainly interested in their Monarch Rig shoulder holster. I want a SUPERB shoulder holster to conceal my XD45 in the winter time. Any recommendations of a quality shoulder rig that is both comfortable and functional would be greatly appreciated as well. My experience with shoulder holsters so far has been those costing $100 or less (and they did not turn out well).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #2

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Barrel length?
If its a 5" gud luck
Shorter barrelled versions have a lot of options out there

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is there a particular reason you want a shoulder rig? The reason I ask is, one of the “rules” of fire arms is not to muzzle anything you’re not willing to destroy (paraphrasing). But, take with most shoulder rigs that’s exactly what we will be or are doing

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Barrel length?
If its a 5" gud luck
Shorter barrelled versions have a lot of options out there
It's a 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
Is there a particular reason you want a shoulder rig? The reason I ask is, one of the “rules” of fire arms is not to muzzle anything you’re not willing to destroy (paraphrasing). But, take with most shoulder rigs that’s exactly what we will be or are doing

I've been carrying IWB since I obtained my CCW in 2009. In the winter, reaching for my armpit is easier than pulling up a jacket/hoodie. It's also more comfortable to sit on long drives with a shoulder rig compared to IWB. Although I hear your point about not covering anything I'm not willing to shoot, I highly doubt my XD will go off while it is idling in a holster.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlue View Post
It's a 4"

I've been carrying IWB since I obtained my CCW in 2009. In the winter, reaching for my armpit is easier than pulling up a jacket/hoodie. It's also more comfortable to sit on long drives with a shoulder rig compared to IWB. Although I hear your point about not covering anything I'm not willing to shoot, I highly doubt my XD will go off while it is idling in a holster.
Agree on shoulder rig when you can dress to cover it (cold weather)-
Shud be no problem finding a quality rig for a 4" - Was surprised that the 5" Tactical had so little availible -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I don't have any experience with Andrews, but I like a shoulder rig anytime it's cool enough for a jacket. With the weight of the gun, you will for sure want a shoulder rig that attaches to your waist on the opposite side. If not, your gun will weigh down one side and the opposite side will start riding up higher and higher and your gun will be down by your waist instead of your armpit.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I don't have any experience with Andrews, but I like a shoulder rig anytime it's cool enough for a jacket. With the weight of the gun, you will for sure want a shoulder rig that attaches to your waist on the opposite side. If not, your gun will weigh down one side and the opposite side will start riding up higher and higher and your gun will be down by your waist instead of your armpit.
Any recommendations for a shoulder rig? The Andrews one does not have tie downs. Their main selling point is the backstrap is low enough that tie downs are not required. The weight of the double mag pouch counterbalances the pistol, I assume.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlue View Post
Any recommendations for a shoulder rig? The Andrews one does not have tie downs. Their main selling point is the backstrap is low enough that tie downs are not required. The weight of the double mag pouch counterbalances the pistol, I assume.
If their claim is true i'd love to know. No way the mags counter the gun completely- Don't like the tie downs myself, never could adjust them to give 100% unristricted movement, mabe just me.

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #9

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I would highly doubt that mag carriers would be enough to counterbalance a loaded 4" 1911. I've found that as you move, the shoulder rig will start to creep its way to the heavier side unless it's anchored on the opposite side

I use mine with a 2.5" revolver and it doesn't have a belt anchor and I I wished it did. So I can only imagine it would be worse with the heavier 1911.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2870 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I have that system for my Ed Brown Kobra carry.
IMO it is one of the best rigs I've come across (so far).

(Please note: I do not use this when I am wearing the speedo on the beach)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)