Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > AMT Hardballer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AMT Hardballer

Hello,
My stepfather gifted me an AMT hardballer a few years ago. It came inoperable. Every piece was there except the barrel (it came with a springfield style 1911 barrel..) I ordered an auto drop colt style 1911 barrel and it should be here today.
My main concern is assembling this gun and shooting it. Since I have never shot this gun before are there any concerns I should have? I have also never installed a new part before, though I know how too, is there anything I should know about installing new parts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I would recommend taking it to a gunsmith and have him check it out before you try to shoot it or do anything.
If you have decent experience with 1911's, then go ahead and assemble the lower part of the gun and make sure everything works as it should.
I have assembled and disassembled hundreds of 1911's, but I don't know much about fitting aftermarket parts, so I will leave the subject of the new barrel to those here that are more experienced.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Most drop in parts don't. Taking it to a 'smith to have it checked out is a very good suggestion. The barrel may or may not have to be fitted, but it's not something I'd take a chance on. Fitting a barrel takes some skills.

Congratulations and please post some pics and a range report after you get it together.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #4

The only reason I'm nervous about firing it is because I do not have much of a background on it. I do not know why the original barrel was replaced, and I do not know why someone tried to install the wrong type of barrel.
I did however take it to a gunsmith a few months ago and asked him if he noticed any problems with it. He informed me the only issue with this gun was the barrel, which like I said was not the correct type.
When I go buy some .45 fmj's at the local gun shop I will ask them if they would mind taking a look at it, to see if its sound.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

AMT has quite a reputation. They either run like a tank, a few, or they are a quagmire of replacement parts and time, the majority.

As the weapon is not currently assembled, I am going to say you got one of the later models, which isn't all bad.

You need to find a qualified gunsmith in your area that will work on an AMT and is, preferably, a 1911 certified smith. Many shops won't touch them because of the plague that comes with them. My gunsmith rarely does 1911 work anymore, but AMT is definitely on his "no thank you!" list.

If you can find such a smith take it him/her and have it put back to 90% original form with a new barrel and then sell it to one of the Hitman: Agent 47 fans for big cash.

AMT is not an heirloom piece or something that is going to go up drastically in value. So unless it has special sentimental value, it's not a keeper.

JD

Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #6

Theres not much sentimental value in it. A lot has happened in this last year, and unfortunately my gun collection took a toll, leaving me with this AMT. I really want it in working order for obvious reasons. If I get it in working order though I am probably going to fire a few hundred rounds through it and try to trade a friend of mine for a Glock23 Gen3! Good trade on my part.

The only background information I do know is that my stepfathers friend owned this gun and shot it in competition for years. So hopefully it is one of the "good" ones.

Chances are will this barrel have to be machined to be fitted?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post

Chances are will this barrel have to be machined to be fitted?
I am no gunsmith, I play at being an apprentice and haven't been fired yet.

But given the information and what I know of the brand, I am going to say IF that barrel is even compatible with the platform, it's a 95% plus chance you are going to need gunsmith fitting to get the thing running again.

Look up Arcadia Machine and Tool and read about the company, it will give you a little insight into what you are dealing with.

As for the trade, you might want to just look up Agent 47 and/or Hitman forums/fan sights and just troll it out there for purchase. The "silverballer" that Agent 47 uses is based directly on the AMT .45 and that fan base is strong and has cash to burn. Just sayin....

JD

Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The AMT's have a reputation for galling between the slide and frame. Use a good lube like Rig lube +P. It is especially made for stainless steel.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Odds are that the barrel was due to be replaced due to the aforementioned competition use, or the galling that Robo mentioned gouged into the top lugs of the barrel. Does the inside of the slide have any scratches across the lugs, front to back?

The AMTs did not have tight tolerances, typically, so a "standard" barrel should fit with minor fitting. Choosing the appropriately sized barrel link will make a huge difference.

But have a 'smith check it out. The Hardballer was a decent 1911 and I've owned a few, but the barrel change was always a good idea. Have the 'smith upgrade all the springs, too.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."