Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Amount Of Magazines Per Handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/amount-magazines-per-handgun-103314/)

WillWork4Ammo 01-27-2014 06:45 AM

Amount Of Magazines Per Handgun

I was thinking about this yesterday while looking for spare magazines for my 92FS.What do you think is the minimum amount of magazines per handgun?I think 2 is ok,but 3 is much better and preferred.I know some that have around 8.As for conceal carry,depending on what I'm carrying that day.

danf_fl 01-27-2014 07:18 AM

I try to have a least 3 magazines per handgun.

For my competition, I have at least 20.

For carry, I like to carry 2 extra when possible.

DrFootball 01-27-2014 07:27 AM

As many as I can buy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo (Post 1492589)
I was thinking about this yesterday while looking for spare magazines for my 92FS.What do you think is the minimum amount of magazines per handgun?I think 2 is ok,but 3 is much better and preferred.I know some that have around 8.As for conceal carry,depending on what I'm carrying that day.

Never less then 4! Ex. I have 8 currently(6 std. And 2 ext.) for my LC9. And 5 for my SR9...:cool:

I know folks with 1 magazine. I ask them why they bought a Semi-Auto for if they only have one mag?

Jagermeister 01-27-2014 07:34 AM

3 high quality magazines.

GunRunner 01-27-2014 07:37 AM

Depends on the reason? I think capacity is also a big factor. If I carry my 1911 it only holds 8. 1 extra equals 16 rounds and a magazine to change if a malfunction occurs. Now if I'm carrying my Five-seveN then that's either 20 or 30 Rds plus a second mag of 20 or 30 equals 60 Rds max in just 2 magazines. I think if I carry anymore than one spare with the Five-seveN I may be mistaken for a well armed militia. .......lol

Sent from my SM-N900P using Firearms Talk mobile app

CZfanatic 01-27-2014 07:42 AM

4 is a good number. Look at it this way, most of us regular sized guys probably won' t cc the M9. But for home defense and the range, I still take mine with me. Having said that, if if you get into a gun battle that requires 120 + rounds, you have a crazy person shooting back:). Or another way to look at it is, if you can' t Neutralize the threat situation with 17 rounds, a good life insurance policy is probably a better option:).

DrFootball 01-27-2014 07:45 AM

Well,...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunRunner (Post 1492601)
Depends on the reason? I think capacity is also a big factor. If I carry my 1911 it only holds 8. 1 extra equals 16 rounds and a magazine to change if a malfunction occurs. Now if I'm carrying my Five-seveN then that's either 20 or 30 Rds plus a second mag of 20 or 30 equals 60 Rds max in just 2 magazines. I think if I carry anymore than one spare with the Five-seveN I may be mistaken for a well armed militia. .......lol

Sent from my SM-N900P using Firearms Talk mobile app

After the 2nd mag. If they are still standing it's time to go deep in the special bag....

HOSSFLY 01-27-2014 11:17 AM

3 for my #1
Others just whatever came with the gun-
xtra mags are a convienience- chances of you ever needing a xtra are slim to none-

qwiksdraw 01-27-2014 12:00 PM

If you get a bunch of magazines just never take all of them loaded to the shooting range. You will go thru all that ammo so fast it will make you silly. Take two or three mags so you can slow down and smell the gunpowder.

Or am I the only one with a total lack if discipline?

c3shooter 01-27-2014 12:12 PM

Nope, just you.

:D

Depends on the purpose of the handgun. My Ruger Mk III? 2 mags. Range shooting, and maybe bunny bopping.

Concealed carry? 1 mag. If two magazines have not resolved the issue, then I am in the middle of a firefight. Why the hell would I choose to get in a firefight with nothing but a handgun????