Ammunition question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ammunition question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammunition question

After years of using +p+ JHP rounds, for daily use in work, the latest batch of ammunition that has been approved for use is now a 95grain jacketed soft point, is there any benefit or yet again has someone thought this is a cheaper option.

Feel free to edit spelling, big fingers and IPhone don't mix

The Government today announced that it will be changing the offical union jack emblem to a condom, this reflects more accurately the Governments political stance. Acondom allows for inflation, halts production, distroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of secuity while you're actually being screwed. Trooper 7687 11/01/2011

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I can see this as a beaurocrat's way to save money and disguise it as a public safety measure. A lighter bullet could have less penetration potential while the soft point can be said to give expansion like a hollow point. A lighter powder load should be less expensive. Whether any of these things are better is what should be debated.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

What caliber? 9mm Para? If so, how is the functional reliability?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #4

Weapon function is fine, no more or less stoppages than normal, put 2000rds through the last training session and only had 2 stoppages, could have been a bit of limp wristing on my part at the end of the day.
Unit issue weapon is the Glock17, don't like you tap the BG's with anything bigger, might harm their human rights.

The Government today announced that it will be changing the offical union jack emblem to a condom, this reflects more accurately the Governments political stance. Acondom allows for inflation, halts production, distroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of secuity while you're actually being screwed. Trooper 7687 11/01/2011

Old 06-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper7687 View Post
After years of using +p+ JHP rounds, for daily use in work, the latest batch of ammunition that has been approved for use is now a 95grain jacketed soft point, is there any benefit or yet again has someone thought this is a cheaper option.

Feel free to edit spelling, big fingers and IPhone don't mix
Here's a link with a few reviews. Ammo looks to have been developed specifically for urban usage when a bit more punch-through power is needed.

AMM-457 - Ammo 9mm Federal Jacketed Soft Point 95 Grain 50 Round Box Requested by SAS and SBS British Special Forces

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personaly can't see a need for it with that light of a bullet weight. I think it could be interesting as a hunting bullet in 460 Rowland but I don't plan to hunt anything with a 9mm. I like JSP ammo for my hunting pistols but they're a LOT heavier and moving a LOT faster.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #7

That link explains why it's an American labeled box but the case's are stamped RG, RG being the in house manufacture company for British aerospace that supplies us our ammunition, guess it's finally filtered down to general usage

Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Most of the reviews seemed favorable. I haven't seen what the velocity is for the round, but it would have to be higher than .380 velocity. I guess if the main worry is ricochets, then it sounds like a decent choice.

My agency issues the .40 Speer 165gn GDHP for our Glock pistols. We used to be issued 155gn, not sure why we changed. The city issues a G-23, but we can carry personally owned Glock .40 pistols. There are 2 others beside me who choose to carry our G-22s.