Ammo in the truck?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ammo in the truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Ammo in the truck?

I have been keeping my pistol and a loaded mag (in a seperate locked compartment) in my truck for the past week while I am at work. Im keeping it in there because I feel safer than if it was at the house. My question is will the heat hurt the powder in the rounds? It is already getting well over 100 degrees and my truck is dark grey with a black interior so it gets stupid hot inside. I know that it is not enough to set off the rounds but will heat cycles be enough to degrade the powder?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5506 Times on 2874 Posts
Likes Given: 357

When i lived in texas i did similar. Never had any issues altho i would stay away from +p and +p+ as heat raises pressure so if you had to use it while the rounds were hot...

I rotated and still do my ammo every 6 months. Ill fire the old and get new ones.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Extreme temperature is not an issue with ammo but extreme temperature change is. If you were going from 30 to 100 degrees I would be concerned but the slow heat up of your car shouldn't be a problem.
As Jon mentioned, I cycle my carry ammo.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 AM   #4

Thanks good. But now I have another question. The heat is getting to the point that my plastic dash will start to deform. My pistol is a s&w sigma so it is a plastic frame gun. I know its made of a much higher quality of plastic but will the heat hurt it? Or if I shoot it is there a higher probablity that it might jam? I have worked the action with it hot and everything still feels smooth. Except for when that hot a$$ slide touches my back when I put it in my waste band.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5506 Times on 2874 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Unless your in the habit of leaving it on the dash in the direct sun it shouldnt hurt it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #6

We have high heat here in Arizona most of the year.
If you must keep your weapon in an auto, and not strong side carry, many of us do the following:
Walmart has small, Glock 17 size, insulated lunch bags for less than ten bucks.
Several bright colors, with a shoulder strap and carry handle.
We keep cell phones, wallets, credit cards with metal strips, smokes,weapons; handguns and ammo, and even lunch sometimes in them when we need to store them in hot cars/trucks.
One nice thing about them, other than keeping handguns and ammo from getting so hot you can't handle them, is not many people try and steal a lunch bag and they don't look like a firearms carrier.
My out of notice of everyone here is a small leather day planer with a Colt 45 1911 and two spare mags.
We do have CCW and CC for everyone in AZ, not sure about Texas.

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #7

Thanks yellow I will look for these bags the next time im at wally world. In TX you have to have a CHL to carry consealed and you can not carry open. I dont have a CHL yet but will soon. Do to my job I cant carry normally anyways so the safest place for my pistol is in the truck were I can watch it. Also John- I keep the gun in the middle consol and the mag in the compartment below that but it got to 114 today and my truck has a black interior so it got alittle hot inside of it.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I doubt you will have any issues with your ammo or your pistol, both are stored in a covered place so while the temp in your car might me 100+ it's your ammo/pistol isn't setting on the dash board getting the brunt of the heat. I expect even if it was there wouldn't be an issue. Lots of the states get hot every summer and I don't believe I've ever heard of a issue where ammo went off or failed to fire due to the heat in a car or a polly frame pistol wouldn't function due to temp. A good concern but I expect the lack of issues would tell you what you are doing is fine.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

By Golly, I have a lot of FA 1934 rifle ammo. (Federal Arsenal. National Match ammo from Camp Perry matches.)
Lord only knows what extremes it had been through.

Most recently I went through a campaign to disassemble it and change the mercuric primers for new non-corrosive primers.
As a matter of course, I also reamed the primer pockets, mildly chamfered the inside of the necks, and polished the cases and bullets.
I reassembled them with precisely weighed the powder charges. (Which I had found to be very precise anyway.)
Last step was a very mild neck crimp into the relieved partition on the bullets.

Random checks found the components to be very precise and I mean +/- zero on my scale. (1/10 grain accuracy gradients.)

I've never found any of it to be lacking in ability or accuracy. (173 grain FMJ BT bullets.)
I also have .45ACP from the same era that is fully viable.
It hasn't gotten carried around in a truck or car routinely, but storage has been in non-controlled environments. Dry places, original boxes, original cases.

So I'm a bit surprised at ammo rotation routines.
Ignorance is bliss... I guess.
YMMV

Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #10

Ammo can and does take a beating.
Prime conditions for storage vs real world conditions are never the same.
It was 102 here yesterday and any firearm left in direct sunlight or left exposed in a vehicle is just too hot to handle.
I've shot wet ammo, hot ammo, cold and wet ammo, and frozen ammo and it always fired.
Always seem to have more problems with weapons in harsh conditions than the ammo.
Just my experence.

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!