Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I try to stock up when I gun shows. Sometimes if the vendor is looking to unload stock u can negotiate and get a few dollars off.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Another vote for reloading. As much as the place disgusts me, check Ebay for USED reloading dies and presses- frankly, have never seen a reloading die worn out. While I also cast my own bullets, even BUYING bullets, powder and primers, it is a lot cheaper. You can get a basic set of dies, press, cheap scale, shell holders- for about what you paid for 200 rounds of ammo.
I may look into reloading. One of the Ranges in my area said on their website that they do not allow reloaded ammo, is that typical? Is there a website that you could suggest on how to learn the in's and out's of reloading, or is it pretty straight forward? Now I just need to find a place I can shoot for free! I live near Chicago, so I have a feeling that's going to be much harder

Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

i reload. much cheaper and you can tune your rounds to what your firearm likes best. i frequent ranges that dont care if you go through the empty casings buckets picking out a fistful of brass now and then. most ranges dont like reloads because they dont care for lawsuits when some chucklehead blows up their rental guns injuring themselves.

i practice a dont tell attitude with reloads at ranges none of their business what i shoot through my weapons.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want to shop online this is a good resource Ammoseek you can search by type, dealer, manufacturer, etc. and compare prices

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Kind of like buying gas at the marina vs filling up the boat before you put it in the water.
Amen to that, brother. They charge those prices because they can. Not gouging, but right on the line.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wally World never has 9mm here. Dick's is getting $.35 per round for baseline ball ammo. I rarely shoot the .380, because it's twice that lately.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #17

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

1. We should get a post going on current reputable online ammo resources. Thinking links.

2. On another note my father was given a handloading setup... a something 550 that is living in a box in my basement that has moved 3 times with me. I am ashamed that I have not sorted through it yet. Just need to figure out all the stuff I need to reload my .45 and 9mm brass. It seems like something that takes an investment upfront and not that much room for error ie. a lot of variables.

Been saving nicer brass for the two calibers for about 3 years and the range guys will save their .45 for me but I feel like an episode of hoarders on tv when it comes to all the gun stuff I have in boxes and ammo cans.

Suppose it makes sense to look in to it - I am sure there are some "coaches" hanging around to front questions.

I swore never to go to Malwartz after my last experience but if the ammo is inexpensive for range stuff I will have to try again.