Am I the only one that carries a large gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Am I the only one that carries a large gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Am I the only one that carries a large gun?

My question is: Who else carries a large gun?

First let me describe myself: I am 6' 1" and not skinny. Ok, let's face it I'm a big guy. Heck, jca1 made me an 8 foot 500 lb intergalactic bigfoot. See, that me with a 6" security six in a rig on my belt. I go shopping wearing this 6" piece, minus the shot gun, though.

Anyways, I always see these posts where people say "don't buy this it a great range gun but too big for carry". And I am sitting here with that gun on my hip . I routinely carry one of four guns. Usually I carry either one of my 5" 1911s or my 3" barrel 44 mag S&W model 629. Now, these weapons' grips were too narrow so I ordered larger grips for them. For the 1911 I got thick cut grips for both my Colt Combat Elite and my Kimber TLE. See below:

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 05-21-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The 44's grip was too small so I bought a hogue grip that is actually still too small but it good enough:

The fourth gun I carry once and a while is my Beretta 92 in a homemade holster. And I carry it with a 20 round Mec-Gar Optium mag and a pachmayr sleeve because the grip was too narrow. I use the 20 round mag because I am a big bore fan and feel that if I am going to carry a 9mm, it should at least have a good mag capacity.

This next pic is my XDm-45 just to show you hand size:

Last edited by mesinge2; 05-21-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 2553 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 2449

I carry a 1911 5" and I'm not as big as you. I have no trouble concealing it.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #4

Likes Given: 2

I've carried a p266 for a little bit, I do prefer smaller pistol, Its easier for me to conceal(5'10" 170) I tend to wear shorts and a t-shirt to work, So the smaller the better for me at times.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm a skinny little joker, 5'11", 135lbs. I've been known to carry a full size 1911 or full size Glock 17. Lately my normal EDC has been a Glock 19.

I prefer to carry a full or medium size gun whenever possible because the larger frame gives me more to hold onto, therefore a more secure grip, plus more ammo capacity, larger caliber, etc.

That being said, I do carry a tiny Keltec P32 as a BUG, but for a primary weapon give me something big!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I'm a skinny little joker, 5'11", 135lbs. I've been known to carry a full size 1911 or full size Glock 17. Lately my normal EDC has been a Glock 19.

I prefer to carry a full or medium size gun whenever possible because the larger frame gives me more to hold onto, therefore a more secure grip, plus more ammo capacity, larger caliber, etc.

That being said, I do carry a tiny Keltec P32 as a BUG, but for a primary weapon give me something big!
I keep wanting the Ruger LCP or SIG 238, but then when I feel it in a shop
I immediately change my mind. I can usually only get one finger on the grip.

I also carry this in a vertical shoulder rig once and a while, just for the heck of it:

Old 05-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I've played with concealing my S&W mod 66 like this only with a 4" barrel...

and my American Classic II 5" 1911...

I don't have a IWB holster yet, so I've just played with a Mikes OWB holster stuck IWB or no holster at all. What I've found so far is the revolver is much easier to conceal because of the shape and angle of the grip. It's not just a big square block sticking out from your body with sharp corners like the 1911 has.

Having said that, I'm waiting for my Super Tuck to get here...right now I'm sure I could carry the .357 wheel gun but still have doubts about the 1911.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The model 66 is a beautiful gun. I have the 19, same gun just blued; and it is my favorite Smith and Wesson 357 mag.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gonna kill my camera just not working, same gun taurus model 66 .357 mag I carry it in a old shoulder holster. I don't really like to carry a semi auto, to many moving parts, as a 246 pound 5,10" redneck I understand needing bigger grips completely, then again what would the world be without us big guys.

tau_2-660041.jpg  

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
The model 66 is a beautiful gun. I have the 19, same gun just blued; and it is my favorite Smith and Wesson 357 mag.
+1, LadyHawk is always trying to take it away from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
...as a 246 pound 5,10" redneck I understand needing bigger grips completely, then again what would the world be without us big guys.
That's me only about 14 lbs lighter, but I have the opposite problem. I've got short fingers and have a hard time holding the biggest grips...then my fingers are fat, so I have a hard time holding the littlest grips too. That's why I like my mod. 66 so much. It's just the right size for me. or my wife.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000