Am I crazy?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Am I crazy??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think Dillinger hit it spot on! if i were to have to be in an area where there was the possibilty of bears, the minimum would be a 44 Mag. remember in the woods with the bears, you are no longer at the top of the food chain, they are!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #12

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I used to live in Valdez, Alaska and my old man went on more than one bear hunt up there. I never went because I was too young and hungry grizzly bears have a way of being ferocious in the middle of winter when they can't find food.

Anyone who thinks a 9mm with 50 rounds in a Custom Made Tripps Super-Duper Cobra mag is a good defense is, conservatively, out of their respective minds. No disrespect intended - I am talking in general terms here.

Let's just analyze section density here for a second.

Bears are covered in fur, I think we can all agree this is a fact. Fur is much thicker than your average human hair. I mean, you've felt a bear pelt, right? It's much thicker and comfy and better than my head of thinning hair.

Bears don't have central heating. That means their hair covers a tough hide that is protection against other attacks and the elements.

Beneath that hair and hide you have a layer of fat, that depending on the bear and how well it's been eating, could be 4 or 6 inches thick.

Now the design behind a hollow point is what? In it's most basic, Wiley E. Coyote School of Engineering? Launch small projectile into surface, projectile expands to twice it's size to create a wider wound channel and cause excessive bleeding. Basically that is the job of the hollow point round.

Do you know what a 9mm hollow point is going to do when it's traveling 1100, 1200 fps and it spins into heavy fur, then a tough hide and MAYBE gets to 4 inches of bear fat??

Yeah. It's going to expand, transfer energy in a stone thrown in a pool pattern, and NOT get into the vitals of an angry, protective and possibly hungry bear.

I am going to say that even with some really, really great marksmanship (which would be considered awesome in the face of a charging bear) you are going to be lottery level lucky to put a round in the right spot to kill this type of animal with a 9mm bullet.

But if you are going to go, can we meet up at my insurance agents office before your flight? I'd like to take out a really big policy on you. You know. For luck.

JD
I don't know anything about bears but I know a great post when I see one...

[Kneels before Zod]

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #13
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There are black bears in the woods where I have my hunting cabin. I never go into the woods with less than a 44mag.

I've encountered them on a few occasions. They like to get into my burn pile. Fortunately I've never had to fire on one.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Op - 9mm vs Bear - yes, IMHO you are crazy.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The Bottom one in this pic, FA 454 Casull, 4 3/4" bbl. carries well in the small of back.

Or the bottom one in this pic, the S&W 500, it carries well in a shoulder rig.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #16

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75370
The Bottom one in this pic, FA 454 Casull, 4 3/4" bbl. carries well in the small of back.

Or the bottom one in this pic, the S&W 500, it carries well in a shoulder rig.
Nice FA I have the 8" barreled ss one w elk horn grips-454 Cassul

Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Take your buddy with you when you decide to take on a bear with a 9mm.

You can always shoot your friend in the knee cap.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yes, you are crazy but are lucky.

JonM is about right on. Your choice of arm and ammo are really poor. Personally for Black Bear and other critters in your area I have a short compensated .357 Mag with hot Buffalo Bore rounds with hard semi-flatnose wadcutters or somewhat similar Federal Vital Shock CastCore rounds. For Alaska I have the same in low recoil .44 Mag. You need to punch holes, penetrate, cut and break and burst stuff to stop that bruin.

As for the luck part? Just show the bear it's a Glock and he'll be so impressed and intimidated that...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-20-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Can you hit a charging bear in the nose or eyes? Those are the only direct unarmored paths to the brain and the only chance you would have. You would not even be able to shoot 16 times. You are better off with bear spray. The overwhelming consensus of the posts is you are crazy.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #20

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
The overwhelming consensus of the posts is you are crazy.
The funny thing about consensus is that even when everyone agrees, they still can be wrong.

Truth of the matter is he will be far better off with a 9mm he shoots well than a bigger gun with which he's not familiar and can't hold a reasonable hope of hitting anything.

Actually, if you're really concerned about stopping bears, get a quality bear spray.