Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Am I crazy??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default Am I crazy??

My buddy and me chatted about this at work today. We were talking about his trip later this year to Colorado to hunt. Went a little off topic but I told him I would be extremely confident facing a charging black bear with just my 9mm. Now of course Im talking 16 JHPs, but he got a could kick out of it and called me crazy. Thoughts? Past experiences? Lay it on me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 79 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You would be comfortable until the bear laughs at the rounds and eats you!

I wouldn't trust my life against a 300 pound man with a 9mm let alone a 300 pound animal with a big heavy jacket on.

I would use my .357 or .44 Magnum.

Last edited by LikeABoss; 06-19-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

I would be shi%%ing in my pants and wouldn't want jhp's in my gun. Even with a 10mm I wouldn't want to be in that situation.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A 9mm against a bear is asking to die. 357 is the bare minimum against a black bear and a 44 mag is bare min for grizzlies. I carry a 454 Cassul and its for a damn good reason.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #5

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
My buddy and me chatted about this at work today. We were talking about his trip later this year to Colorado to hunt. Went a little off topic but I told him I would be extremely confident facing a charging black bear with just my 9mm. Now of course Im talking 16 JHPs, but he got a could kick out of it and called me crazy. Thoughts? Past experiences? Lay it on me
I wouldn't want to take on a charging linebacker with a 9mm given a choice. I'm not starting the old 9 isn't good enough bs but if I knew I was might need to stop a charging animal and I had an option it wouldn't be my first choice. If I'm in the woods and might run across a bear I'm going to carry the proper equipment to stop a bear! It only makes sense, why risk getting hurt or wounding a dangerous animal and creating a hazard for others?

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #6

Ok... So my ex wife is right... Im flippin crazy lol damit.

And yes id be poopy pants

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

bears and most wild animals have pretty decent body armor. 9mm is designed to be used in warfare against people. the bullet even in fmj format doesnt have the strength to get to the inner workings on even a small bear.

now since fmj doesnt have the power to get to the heart and lungs or penetrate the skull a hollow point will just lodge under the skin doing what its designed to do. under penetrate and expand.

yes your friend is right. your crazy and will end up deader than dead with the slide locked back and the bear looking like he got 16 new scars when he heals.

when loading for defense against animal attack NEVER use hollowpoints they do just the opposite of what you want to happen. proper bullets are softpoints or hardcast lead solids.

44magnum is the smallest round i would consider viable for defense on animals

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-19-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I used to live in Valdez, Alaska and my old man went on more than one bear hunt up there. I never went because I was too young and hungry grizzly bears have a way of being ferocious in the middle of winter when they can't find food.

Anyone who thinks a 9mm with 50 rounds in a Custom Made Tripps Super-Duper Cobra mag is a good defense is, conservatively, out of their respective minds. No disrespect intended - I am talking in general terms here.

Let's just analyze section density here for a second.

Bears are covered in fur, I think we can all agree this is a fact. Fur is much thicker than your average human hair. I mean, you've felt a bear pelt, right? It's much thicker and comfy and better than my head of thinning hair.

Bears don't have central heating. That means their hair covers a tough hide that is protection against other attacks and the elements.

Beneath that hair and hide you have a layer of fat, that depending on the bear and how well it's been eating, could be 4 or 6 inches thick.

Now the design behind a hollow point is what? In it's most basic, Wiley E. Coyote School of Engineering? Launch small projectile into surface, projectile expands to twice it's size to create a wider wound channel and cause excessive bleeding. Basically that is the job of the hollow point round.

Do you know what a 9mm hollow point is going to do when it's traveling 1100, 1200 fps and it spins into heavy fur, then a tough hide and MAYBE gets to 4 inches of bear fat??

Yeah. It's going to expand, transfer energy in a stone thrown in a pool pattern, and NOT get into the vitals of an angry, protective and possibly hungry bear.

I am going to say that even with some really, really great marksmanship (which would be considered awesome in the face of a charging bear) you are going to be lottery level lucky to put a round in the right spot to kill this type of animal with a 9mm bullet.

But if you are going to go, can we meet up at my insurance agents office before your flight? I'd like to take out a really big policy on you. You know. For luck.

JD

Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #9

Hahaha. Very good points/facts. Lol back to formula for me

Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
9mm against a charging Black bear? Feeling suicidal?