always keeping bullets in magazine?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > always keeping bullets in magazine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default always keeping bullets in magazine?

what does everyone do with their magazines. is it a good idea or not to always keep them loaded or will this effect the performance or spring in them when you do need them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfan4141 View Post
what does everyone do with their magazines. is it a good idea or not to always keep them loaded or will this effect the performance or spring in them when you do need them.
Springs lose their compression ONLY when cycled over and over. Keeping the compression there or leaving it empty will not effect the spring. You should be able to keep ammo in the mags and no harm will come to the springs at all.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Supposedly, it is the cycling (compression and decompression) that wears the spring down. It shouldn't hurt if it is in either relaxed (unloaded) or compressed (loaded) state.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What everyone else said... Unless its an old military m16 mag, then store it with no more than 28 rounds in it, because they (as with many things involving the m16) failed miserably in using their brains and made the mags in such a way that holding 30 rounds over compressed the spring which is very bad news.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 06-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I only keep two mag loaded at a time the rest are stored in the ammo locker with the ammo, the guns are always within three or four feet from my side of the bed.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

All of my mags are loaded one round short. I don't know if it really helps or not, but it makes me feel better about those springs.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Magazine spring article.....

To put this one to rest, you have to understand creep. Creep is the slow flow of a non-ferric metal like copper, brass and lead under force. At temperatures outside of a furnace, steel doesn't have any appreciable creep. Under most conditions, steel flexes and then returns to its original shape. When pushed past its elastic limit, steel will bend and not return to its original shape. All designers of well-made magazines make sure the spring never approaches the elastic limit when the magazine is fully loaded. Honest. This means the spring will not weaken when the magazine is fully loaded -- not even over an extended time. Like 50 years. American Handgunner recently ran a story about a magazine full of .45 ACP that had been sitting since WWII and it ran just fine on the first try. So there you go.

Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

To put this one to rest, you have to understand creep. Creep is the slow flow of a non-ferric metal like copper, brass and lead under force. At temperatures outside of a furnace, steel doesn't have any appreciable creep. Under most conditions, steel flexes and then returns to its original shape. When pushed past its elastic limit, steel will bend and not return to its original shape. All designers of well-made magazines make sure the spring never approaches the elastic limit when the magazine is fully loaded. Honest. This means the spring will not weaken when the magazine is fully loaded -- not even over an extended time. Like 50 years. American Handgunner recently ran a story about a magazine full of .45 ACP that had been sitting since WWII and it ran just fine on the first try. So there you go.

Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET
I can attest to this too, my late father brought his late father's Colt 1911
home after my grand mother died in 1987. My granddad died in 1952 and his pistol had been kept in the brown leather flap holster in the top of a closet since his death. The leather and canvas magazine pouch had started to dry rot, but there was no rust on the pistol or spare magazines. All 3 magazines were fully loaded and all 3 were emptied without any problems.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #9

I always keep atleast one clip fully loaded next to my bed. seems to work just fine.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #10

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

I'm quoting and replying because this is such a common misconception(I thought this way until I read about the science involved) that it needs to be said over and over and over again to break the chain of misinformation. This is not a shooting issue, it's a scientific issue related to metal and it has been proven.

Now if there is another issue besides the spring that makes cycling a magazine make sense I'm all ears.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson