Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think this is a very good article. It gives us some real information, not just the usual bantering, hearsay and stories.

I believe that the first and foremost consideration for using a firearm for self-defense is being proficient with whatever gun you have and being able to hit the target. You need to be able to use your firearm effectively, plain and simple. You can't make up for lack of proficiency with a bigger round. A hit with a .22LR is better than a miss with a .44 mag. I know people who recently purchased handguns and have not given much thought to learning how to use them. There is a real run on guns and ammo taking place right now because of the election season. Many of these gun buyers will just take their guns home and not learn how to use them. That is their right but they would be doing themselves a favor if they were to make the effort and spend the time to become proficient with their firearms. I guess some folks feel safe enough just having a gun around, whether or not they can use it effectively.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #12

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I think this is a very good article. It gives us some real information, not just the usual bantering, hearsay and stories.

I believe that the first and foremost consideration for using a firearm for self-defense is being proficient with whatever gun you have and being able to hit the target. You need to be able to use your firearm effectively, plain and simple. You can't make up for lack of proficiency with a bigger round. A hit with a .22LR is better than a miss with a .44 mag. I know people who recently purchased handguns and have not given much thought to learning how to use them. There is a real run on guns and ammo taking place right now because of the election season. Many of these gun buyers will just take their guns home and not learn how to use them. That is their right but they would be doing themselves a favor if they were to make the effort and spend the time to become proficient with their firearms.
Quote:
I guess some folks feel safe enough just having a gun around, whether or not they can use it effectively.
That is true ----sad----and a bit scary

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #13

Thanks Trez, this is a very interesting article.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6665 Times on 4032 Posts
Likes Given: 7919

I have read this over more than once. Thank you so much. There's a lot for me to learn here. I feel much better about the "9 mm vx. 380" that is raging in my mind. LOL