Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Almost a whoops! moment (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/almost-whoops-moment-88329/)

txpossum 04-07-2013 04:14 AM

Almost a whoops! moment

I like to think that I 'm careful with guns, but complacency could have resulted in an embarassing and potentially dangerous incident today. I got a gun out of my safe that I used to keep in my truck, but which had been put up for a while. I removed the magazine, which was empty. I was SURE the gun was unloaded. I even sat it down without checking the chamber . . . but then I thought better of it, and jacked the slide back. A .40 Hydra Shok flew out. Whoops.

Now, after 50 years of handling guns, I KNEW better . . . and I ALWAYS check the chamber . . . except I almost didn't this time.

Guess one is never to old or experienced to be a dumbass.

kryptar19 04-07-2013 04:31 AM

Hey don't beat yourself up. It's happened to EVERYONE on this forum, and it will most likely happen AGAIN.

This has happened to me and is now why I clear every firearm I handle. No matter what.

txpossum 04-07-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1205929)
Hey don't beat yourself up. It's happened to EVERYONE on this forum, and it will most likely happen AGAIN.

This has happened to me and is now why I clear every firearm I handle. No matter what.

Yeah, unfortunately I can't claim it's the only time I made or almost made a mistake regarding the status of a firearm -- there have been a couple of other times over the years that I wasn't as careful as I knew how to be -- but this was an object lesson today. I KNEW that gun was empty,'cause I would never empty the clip of a gun but leave one in the chamber . . . but whenever I put that gun up, I did, for reasons unknown.

Fortunately, besides the rule about guns ALWAYS being loaded, I follow the rule about never pointing a gun -- even an empty one -- at anyone (unless you want to shoot 'em), but I would have hated to explain to my wife how I happened to shoot the tv.

Jpyle 04-07-2013 05:13 AM

At least your mind and your gut told you something wasn't right and you rechecked the chamber...subconsciously you knew you f'd up even if you didn't realize it at the time.

Vikingdad 04-07-2013 05:26 AM

I pulled a 10-22 out of the safe, removed the magazine, cycled the bolt and handed it to my buddy who shot a hole in my bedroom wall. I didn't look down into the chamber to confirm it wasn't empty.

That was the last time I made that mistake.

It can happen to even the most careful of us.

gearhead396 04-07-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I pulled a 10-22 out of the safe, removed the magazine, cycled the bolt and handed it to my buddy who shot a hole in my bedroom wall. I didn't look down into the chamber to confirm it wasn't empty.

That was the last time I made that mistake.

It can happen to even the most careful of us.

That has happened to me before with a 45 also last time I made that mistake also have to admit it was my dads gun and I was only 16!!! Very very stupid on my part pretty sure my dad gave me a black eye

Jagermeister 04-07-2013 09:53 AM

Guilty about still having a round in the chamber after removing the mag. I pulled back on the slide and out it came before I cleaned the gun. Happened when I was a teen, but that one experience was all I needed. One reason it is important to get training. I learned on my own in the beginning.

mountainman13 04-07-2013 10:07 AM

Glad it worked out. Atleast you double checked before engaging the boom switch. Gotta admit it is kinda odd the mag was empty but it was chambered. Seems the oops was actually made quite a while ago.

eatmydust 04-07-2013 10:39 AM

FREE lessons are great lessons!! It's the costly ones we hear about too often!

FrontierTCB 04-07-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust
FREE lessons are great lessons!! It's the costly ones we hear about too often!

True.
Human error is just something we have to live and deal with this time you caught your error because of years of conditioning yourself toward caution. Many have not been so lucky.

Funny how the brain works. Years ago I was having a hectic day and needed to run to the store and get back home quickly. I get in the car and realize I don't have my wallet, go back inside to get it, and when I get back in the car I find that I am holding the remote control for my t.v. instead of my wallet!!

Don't know what the hell was going on other than my brain was over loaded. Something I'd done every day like getting my wallet before leaving home I'd screwed up twice in 3min.

It's good practice to "trust, but verify" your own work.