Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Alcohol = No pistols/guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #81
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7399 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 9513

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBarrelTac View Post
There was that fresh out of the academy off-duty cop that waved his gun at a cashier just the other day that was very intoxicated apparently.
I think that is probably a different problem. Yes, it involves alcohol but the major issue is the guy is an asshat.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 15 Posts

Personally, no offense to current officers. But I think a big part of that incident was that law enforcement has been hiring a lot of hot heads lately fresh from war where all they know is that certain lifestyle, they're given the pressed uniform and badge, and just take advantage of it. Luckily from what iv read that officer was fired

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #83
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17008 Times on 9841 Posts
Likes Given: 44254

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBarrelTac View Post
Personally, no offense to current officers. But I think a big part of that incident was that law enforcement has been hiring a lot of hot heads lately fresh from war where all they know is that certain lifestyle, they're given the pressed uniform and badge, and just take advantage of it. Luckily from what iv read that officer was fired
do you have any facts, evidence or links that support that statement?

because i know a few LEO's who were in the military and were staioned overseas in Iraq and Afganistan, and personally i just see it completely opposite.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #84

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

I've actually noticed since I returned from Afghanistan and got my CCW that I am MUCH more cognizant of alcohol use by myself and others around me. I used to be a borderline alcoholic but having the responsibility strapped to my side, I've had maybe 6 beers in the past 12 months. Better to be safe than sorry. Alcohol just isn't important enough to me I guess. With the way the world is these days, I'd rather be stone sober and in control than have a buzz.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead0881 View Post
I've actually noticed since I returned from Afghanistan and got my CCW that I am MUCH more cognizant of alcohol use by myself and others around me. I used to be a borderline alcoholic but having the responsibility strapped to my side, I've had maybe 6 beers in the past 12 months. Better to be safe than sorry. Alcohol just isn't important enough to me I guess. With the way the world is these days, I'd rather be stone sober and in control than have a buzz.
well said! being in control is part of the reason i quit getting drunk many, many years ago. i got to the point i didn't like how i felt or acted, or some of the things i said because of the alcohol. over the past several years i drink very seldom.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #86
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

well said! being in control is part of the reason i quit getting drunk many, many years ago. i got to the point i didn't like how i felt or acted, or some of the things i said because of the alcohol. over the past several years i drink very seldom.
I cut back on the two things that could hurt me the most, Most intoxicants(once in a while a Scotch or other whiskey, but otherwise), no more Beer or wine, and gave up Pipe Tobacco & Cigars 8 Years ago, and Cigs in 1980...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I cut back on the two things that could hurt me the most, Most intoxicants(once in a while a Scotch or other whiskey, but otherwise), no more Beer or wine, and gave up Pipe Tobacco & Cigars 8 Years ago, and Cigs in 1980...
smoking is the one vice i still cling to. i gave up heavy drinking years ago. i gave up chasing wild and loose women when i married the second time. i gave up gambling, but never had a problem with it, because i knew my limits. speed is one that i just don't care for as the roadways are just too crowded for going all out and wide-open anymore. i have tried many different methods of trying to quit smoking over the years, but that all failed. probably because deep down inside, i probably didn't really want to quit. but at least i am honest about my addiction.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

smoking is the one vice i still cling to. i gave up heavy drinking years ago. i gave up chasing wild and loose women when i married the second time. i gave up gambling, but never had a problem with it, because i knew my limits. speed is one that i just don't care for as the roadways are just too crowded for going all out and wide-open anymore. i have tried many different methods of trying to quit smoking over the years, but that all failed. probably because deep down inside, i probably didn't really want to quit. but at least i am honest about my addiction.
My "scare" came at Midnight one a warm June Night in 2004 when I could not catch my Breath no matter how hard i tried to slow my "chest Heaving" down. Annrose took me to the Hospital and they put me in an ICU wing with an 80 year old man who screamed all night at the top of his lungs, even after they gave him a shot of Demoral!! At 6Am when My Wife came back I begged her to sign me out promising never to smoke 3-5 cigars a week ever again. To this day I have smoked exactly 3 times(cigars): At my retirement Party Someone gave me a Cherry Vanilla flavored Don Juan Especial, Goit 1/3rd of the way through it and ditched the rest. 2) The Night we decided to Leave NY for good almost 1 Yr. Ahead of schedule, and 3): my Last Night In NY- 1/2/12....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 07-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #89

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post

I would make sure he has no way to access any of your Guns when you are not around...
I actually carry my only handgun an the one im babysitting stays locked in a safe he doesn't know qbout. The AR though is down in the basement an he hardly ever goes there. But for safetys sake its tucked under my desk out of view... im trying to be as responsible as possible.... even if it means stashing and carrying lol

Lo que sea, cuando sea, donde sea

Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmac

I actually carry my only handgun an the one im babysitting stays locked in a safe he doesn't know qbout. The AR though is down in the basement an he hardly ever goes there. But for safetys sake its tucked under my desk out of view... im trying to be as responsible as possible.... even if it means stashing and carrying lol
I understand... Just looking out for ya!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.