Alcohol = No pistols/guns? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Alcohol = No pistols/guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #61
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3374 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
The main word here is responsibility. Know your limits. If you don't know when you're legally beyond the limit and out in public, try this.

I don't think anyone believes that one drink and you'll be too intoxicated to handle a car or a gun. Just be aware that if you have been drinking and anyone knows it or there is evidence, it may become a complicating issue to your defense case. The above item could help in that case as well.

At home, you grab a gun to defend yourself as a last ditch effort. IMHO, nothing should stop you from protecting your life in your own home.
Greg! I want one,...not for myself but to test Everyone else!!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
TekGreg Likes This 
Old 07-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #62
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3374 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Honestly, this should be adult common sense! I know for me,..If Just me & DW(Mz. Green) are going to shoot & then out to eat afterwards,..we keep the guns locked in the SUV until we are home. I rarely drink anymore these days because of being a recovering Diabetic, but If we went out as a group of couples to Shoot and then go out to eat afterwards, I'd seriously consider stopping home first to drop stuff off before continuing with the Day or Evening,....just common sense...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
TekGreg Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #63
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1363 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Greg! I want one,...not for myself but to test Everyone else!!!
LOL! Fun, aren't they? Could be useful for responsible home parties - collect keys on the way in, use the device before they leave to get them back. Everyone happy!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #64

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

I think more importantly just how is it that having a drink of alcohol is so much more important to some folks than their personal safety and safety of their families... the two in the gunstore chose to risk their lives foolishly by consuming alcohol

I just cannot comprehend why drinking booze is so important to folks they would choose that over being coherent enough to operate a vehicle safely or carry a firearm safely. Boggles me it does
I dont get it either, i think i drink maybe a total of less than 10 beers, in a 12 month period. I never drink more than a beer. And with the price of the hard stuff, i dont see any real benefits, though a good bourbon, neat, and a semi decent cigar on rare occasion can be nice.

Last edited by phildenton; 07-16-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #65

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I am ok with 1 beer. Anymore than 1 and the gun gets put away. And it get put away before I have the 2nd one...not after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
I think if you can drive a car you can handle a weapon. Any more than that and you are asking for trouble.
While one may be perfectly capable of driving or handling a weapon, the problem that lies is liability. If your in an accident, or a shoot situation and it becomes known you had even one drink, prosecutors are going to jump on that big time. They will make you out to be a drunken fool who cant control himself and your judgement was impaired so badly you didnt know what you were doing. Even if the defence counters it effectivly, you have been represented to a jury as a drunken idiot out of control and that thought will stay in they're minds perhaps affecting judgement. And when your convicted of charges in that case, liability kicks in and you get slapped with a civil suit.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #66

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Common sense does seem to run amuck with even casual drinkers when any amount of alcohol is involved with anything. Kinda like casual pot smokers too.

66 post in and still guys debate!!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #67

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

All I'm saying is that if you cant enjoy a couple while in your home in America, without the fear of using your gun on an intruder... then what the hell is this country coming too...

#ComeAndTakeIt

Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #68
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9030 Times on 5247 Posts
Likes Given: 11922

I may get some flak for this but I don't care if you have had a few drinks at home, or hell, even if you are out with the buddies and have a beer of two. Mind you, if you are going to a bachelor party and are planning on tying one on then leave the sidearm at home.

Back when I was younger if you got caught drinking and driving they would just follow you home to make sure you got there OK (and didn't go to another bar). Then along came MADD and stronger laws with the blood alcohol levels and all. I guaran-damn-tee you that when I was drinking regularly I could easily pass a roadside drunk test. I am so confident because I have done it. I know some Ruskies who can safely drive with a 2.0 because they are conditioned to the alcohol. I have no clue where I would have been actually impaired, but it was well above .08%. My point is that different people have different tolerances.

Not saying its smart. I'm not saying its defensible in court. But I am saying that it is better to be safe than sorry, and that means if you don't feel able to safely carry when you have had a single drink, then don't. I figure that I could have a few beers and still be OK to carry (again, back when I was drinking regularly- I have not had a drop for the better part of a year now). The problem is that here in my county it is impossible for a regular blue-collar guy to get a CCW, so it is a moot point. I would be arrested for carrying if I were stone cold sober.

Besides, all of the best watering holes are in the most dangerous parts of town!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #69

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

And for the guys that say why do you " need " to drink... no one said we " needed " to. Lol......

Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #70

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
And for the guys that say why do you " need " to drink... no one said we " needed " to. Lol......
Lol, i can understand that. What i dont understand is drinking just to get drunk, yes i have done that, maybe 5 times, but its been several years since. Never noticed an upside, and that was all without a hangover.