Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Airline travel with pistols? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/airline-travel-pistols-88331/)

phiche 04-07-2013 04:46 AM

Airline travel with pistols?

Interested in experiences of traveling thru airports and different airlines!
I just ordered a Pelican Box to hold my pistols. I'll place the box in a large suitcase. TSA likes lookin' at "purty guns"

winds-of-change 04-07-2013 05:45 AM

C3shooter will come along and answer you here. He has experience with this.

drvsafe 04-07-2013 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The is based on my experience flying out of New Jersey, i recommend you contact your local airport and airline for their specific rules and regs.
I suggest you find a way to connect your case to your suitcase. I fly with one like in the image. Keep your ammo separate in the box it came in. It can go in the same suitcase as your pelican case. But not in with the firearm. No loaded magazines. Go to the counter to check in and tell them you are checking in a firearm. Easy enough. Only you should unlock the firearm case, or at the very least the key to the case or lock shouldn't leave your possession.

John_Deer 04-07-2013 06:32 AM

You need a locking hard gun case. I have an aluminum case with combination locks. I have caught some grief over the combination locks but they let me board. I have never tried to fly with ammo. I just get ammo at my destination. Getting ammo might not be so simple in the near future. I also have a plastic Kel Tec case with padlocks. Never a problem with the plastic box.

c3shooter 04-07-2013 11:04 AM

Good answers so far.

As said- no loaded mags, ammo in original type box.

Be SURE gun is not loaded. $10,000 fine kind of sure.

Lockable hard case, do NOT use TSA friendly locks. Go to check in counter, smile, say "Good morning. I would like to declare an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage."

Do NOT simply announce "I have a gun". That will end badly.

They will have you show gun is empty, have you fill out declaration form which goes in case. They will have TSA look it over, then you lock case, give to TSA, YOU keep key.

JimRau 04-07-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1206068)
Good answers so far.

Lockable hard case, do NOT use TSA friendly locks. Go to check in counter, smile, say "Good morning. I would like to declare an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage."

They will have you show gun is empty, have you fill out declaration form which goes in case. They will have TSA look it over, then you lock case, give to TSA, YOU keep key.

What he said.

JimRau 04-07-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1206068)
Good answers so far.

I have traveled with a handgun A LOT on all of the airlines. They MAY ask you to open the case and verify it is unload, but most just have you open the case and place the signed 'declaration' in side your luggage. I went one step further. I place a chain 'through' the locked case and have a 'I' bolt installed in the bottom of you luggage and I lock the case to the luggage. If anyone wants to take the case they would have to take the entire luggage item. This makes it a bit harder to conceal from view for a would be thief. I have had numerous TSA agents tell me I should market this, but how do you market a 1/4 I bolt???;)

drvsafe 04-07-2013 02:23 PM

All good advice. As I said as well, try to find a way to attach the pistol case to your luggage. This way they cannot easily be separated.
You're not the first nor will you be the last to travel by air with a firearm so just follow the rules be respectful and you'll have no problems whatsoever.

partdeux 04-08-2013 01:30 AM

great info here
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

drvsafe 04-09-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux

Good stuff!!!