Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Aim off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Aim off

Posted this in the Glock dept earlier but thought I should widen the information pool up a bit. Signed out a new Glock (G17/9MM) from the armoury and went to fire a few check groups on the range, the last Glock I had was hitting slightly high and left but the the one I have now seems to be hitting a lot higher and a lot more left ( can't get my old Glock back as it was involved in an incident in work that required it to be sent to the evidence locker). The Glock I have now requires me to aim at the right knee of a Fig 11 target to be hitting centremass at 30mtrs, to me this seems to be a bit excessive for aim off, I can still qualify to carry under the rules and regs and can pass the tests but i'm still not that happy with the pistol but am required to use the service pistol as issiued, . Has anyone else had this problem, if so how did you get it rectified.

The Government today announced that it will be changing the offical union jack emblem to a condom, this reflects more accurately the Governments political stance. Acondom allows for inflation, halts production, distroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of secuity while you're actually being screwed. Trooper 7687 11/01/2011

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4514 Times on 2373 Posts
Likes Given: 258

one of the many issues i have with glocks is the unnatural hold you have to use in breaking your wrist down to get the thing on target. a natural grip has the barrel pointing well above target. i think it makes the pistol a very difficult handgun to shoot well if you have experience on better designed hanndguns

but are you 100% it not you??

to see if your grip or trigger pull is the issue have a friend load a mag with a snap cap or dummy round in the mag so you dont know when the click is coming. this will give instant feed back if your flinching or gripping too hard or what.

even though your stuck with a so-so firearm it should be mechanically zeroed from the factory

if you find the above not the case (most of the time it is the shooter not the gun) then you can try drifting the rear or front sight to at least get the windage right. a small punch and hammer and only very slight movement will get it inline.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #3

Thanks for he response, Have tried a few things like drifting the sights, having the range safety officer stand and watch my posn and hold as I'm firing and still the pistol seems to hit high and left, aim centre mass and strikes all land left shoulder area, grouping is not a problem tight group (5rds) was 4cm (1.5in), loose group was 10cm (4in), these were fired in slow time not combat type rapid fire. To adjust POI to centre mass requires a 12in drop and 6in right (at 30mtrs) of POI, this seems excessive to me, can still shoot to the required level to stay qualified with the pistol as required by work, but not a happy bunny. Unfortunatly this is the Pistol I have to carry on duty and off duty.

The Government today announced that it will be changing the offical union jack emblem to a condom, this reflects more accurately the Governments political stance. Acondom allows for inflation, halts production, distroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of secuity while you're actually being screwed. Trooper 7687 11/01/2011

Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4514 Times on 2373 Posts
Likes Given: 258

the other issue can be sight picture.

pretend the x is centered as in target hard to represent here

lower cas i means that portion of sight is shorter

x
III
this normal

x
iIi

this will shoot high

x
IiI

low

its just hard to imagine even a glock being that far off target 12 inches is a lot of distance

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #5

thaks Jon, took the oppertunity to use the indoor range over lunch, benifits of being an RCO, and used my old firestar 9mm compact ( my Dads old PPW built in 1978) and was able to knock the centre out of the target , tried a few more with the Glock, result still high and left, really getting upset with the fact that because I can make the bare minimum pass I wont be issiued a different Pistol. I'll have to buy private and apply to be allowed to carry as my service side arm and have to maintain the 9mm as standard, not allowed the firestar as it falls below the min mag capacity, having thoughts about a CZ75.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'd suggest letting the range safety officer shoot it. You know you can shoot a different gun. If other people have the same awful result, maybe it can be reported up your chain of command. So maybe you can get a different gun or at least get the sights replaced.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #7

Writing a range report now, so by the rule that everything here operates at the speed of continental drift, the report should make it to the CO by the time i've had to carry the thing into a situation that I may need it. Will be changing the sights this evening and hitting the range soon after. Guess the old adage is true about your weapon being built by the lowest bidder.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #8

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I was going to suggest the same, have someone else shoot the POS and see if its you or the gaston.

Is there a ding in the muzzle crown? The Effects Of Crown Damage On Accuracy

Another suggestion is to drop it in the loo.

You can NOT do your job if you have no confidence in your service piece!

Good luck.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #9

Took apart and checked over the first time it came out before firing, no crown damage, will be shooting the Annual Personal Weapons Test this weekend so will get a few other people to put it through it's paces, I was happier with the last Glock I had, it at least hit where I pointed thats the reason that I don't have it now gotta love the the after action plan of removing the weapon that you used until after the court case and issiuing you a new out of the box Weapon, My boss is on his 5th Glock in three years, still wish's they let him keep the .357 Ruger, wish I'ed got to keep my BHP.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #10

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper7687 View Post
...wish I'ed got to keep my BHP.
Damn, I knew there was a reason I liked you!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello