After gun class - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > After gun class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Sigs and Brownings are best bought used on trading forums or through gun shows. I've seen various Sig P226/228/229 (pick whatever frame suits you, they're all outstanding guns) for $500-650 in oustanding condition. I recently found myself torn between a P228 and BHP Practical at recent gun show. Both appeared excellent (used), both were $499. I went with the Browning.

Personally, I'll take the "nearly new" Sig/BHP and keep an extra $300 in my wallet. CZs on the other hand, are offered at pretty competitive prices brand new...and the excellent used ones I've seen bring pretty close to the brand new price.
OK! Now just one question. Is there anything I aught to know about buying from a gun show? I thought I once heard something that made me concerned about it.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
OK! Now just one question. Is there anything I aught to know about buying from a gun show? I thought I once heard something that made me concerned about it.
My advice about gunshows is that you really need to know what you are looking at and what a good price is. Most of the local shows here suck out loud. People want retail+ for their junk and pray that you don't know what it is you're looking at and that you get caught up in the moment and buy without thinking it over. Now, your area may be completely different, but my advice remains the same, know what you're looking for and what it's worth.

On a completely different note, I've seen quite a few CZ75's listed on GunBroker and a few online retailers lately as LE trade-ins for about $350. Would your local guy do a transfer for you?

Widener's

Last edited by russ; 03-01-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post

On a completely different note, I've seen quite a few CZ75's listed on GunBroker and a few online retailers lately as LE trade-ins for about $350. Would your local guy do a transfer for you?

Widener's
Well, I don't know if he would do a transfer for me. I could always ask. Do you think they would charge me a fee for the service? Can't imagine they would take their time for nothing...and if they get their fee, I suppose they would; but again, I don't really know.

That really is a good price on the CZ. It just felt like I was holding a box instead of a hand grip. Like the 1911 (which I did like), but the grip felt like an old 305 model telephone hand set.

I know what you mean about the guys at the gun show hoping you'll get caught up in the moment. It's the same with home auctions. You really have to know what you are willing to pay before you go in. As a consolation, if you know what the guns are worth, you can ask to handle their inventory without feeling guilty.

I called up a gun dealer to ask if they had a CZ75B that I could shoot at the range. He didn't, but he had a used model for only 379.00 that wouldn't last long at that price. I thanked him and promptly found them all over the web at that price new. I won't feel guilty about handling his guns with no intention to buy!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Adding to what russ said, I would say it's important to know what a gun is worth in your area. For instance, I see Glocks selling in south Florida for $600, but here in north Florida, they run about $100 less.

Look for a local/regional gun forum that has a buy/sell/trade section. If you monitor that, you'll see what things actually sell for around you.

Regarding gunbroker, most gun shops will do transfers. They always charge a fee. First, they have to pay for a background-check phone call. Second, they are in business to make money. Third, they will start smelling funny to BATFE if guns are going through the place and no money is changing hands. Some shops, though, charge a percentage of the sale price of the gun instead of or in addition to a flat rate. So ask first! Around here, transfers typically run between $20 and $35.

There's a feature on gunbroker that will let you enter your zip code and search for FFLs in your area. Most of them list their fees. You can find it here.

Good luck.1

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #25

@utf59: Thanks for the great information.