After gun class - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > After gun class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Ain't many types of 9mm guns I haven't owned. From the standpoint of size, weight, and quality - my keeper 9mm is a Sig P228. They're kind of hard to find but I got this CPO (certified pre-owned) on Gunbroker for a shade over $525. It's in mint condition and is just about the perfect 9mm IMHO...

Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #12

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Ain't many types of 9mm guns I haven't owned. From the standpoint of size, weight, and quality - my keeper 9mm is a Sig P228.
I just read about the differences. I'll see if the local gun store has the P228, but I won't sweat it if they don't. I want to buy a gun from that store just to build a stronger relationship with them.

The article I read said that you can get an aluminum rail or a stainless steel rail. Can you tell me which is better and why?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
You need to be aware with the CZ75B that there are a few different models, there is a single action (like a 1911 in function, only fires with the hammer cocked), a de-cocker version like you already found, and the standard model which is SA/DA (single or double action, like a Ruger P-series and most non-cowboy revolvers). Just be aware of what you are looking at and what you want.
Thanks for this tip. That will be handy when I go back! I'll put in my notes now!

Edit:

So, if the CZ75B comes in a version with a de-cocker, then what is the difference between the B and D versions?

@Sweeper22: Will make note! I've been changing my mind back and forth about that damned safety.

Last edited by Tuco; 02-22-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: New Question

Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
The article I read said that you can get an aluminum rail or a stainless steel rail. Can you tell me which is better and why?

Thanks
Not sure I understand you here. Most Sigs have alloy frames, a few are all stainless steel. As far as rails, most newer Sigs have them, older ones do not. The P228 was "replaced" by the P229 and it comes with and without rails...

Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Not sure I understand you here. Most Sigs have alloy frames, a few are all stainless steel. As far as rails, most newer Sigs have them, older ones do not. The P228 was "replaced" by the P229 and it comes with and without rails...
I should have copied the info onto my clipboard and pasted it here. That's OK. I'll go back on Thursday and work it out. Y'all gave me everything I need to know.

Thanks to all.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

[strike]On that note, can you tell me the difference between the CZ 75B/D? I found it once but I can't find it again.[/strike] I found it. Manual safety vs. decocker.

Thanks. Oh, and I liked the tupperware line.[/QUOTE]

The D stands for De-cocker not sure what the B is for but a buddy of mine bought a CZ97BD their .45acp

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #17

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

P226R .40 caliber w/pic rail (SureFire X300 Weapons Light attached)

P226 is the full-sized version
P226R is the full-sized WITH a pic rail
P229 is the compact version
P229R is the compact WITH a pic rail

the "safety" is in the trigger mechanism -- as the trigger is pulled rearward, a "depressor" mechanism is levered upwards towards the underside of the slide. as the trigger continues rearward (and depressor continues upward), a "button" on the underside of the slide is depressed, and starts disengaging a firing pin block that rests between the firing pin and the external firing pin "button" that the hammer strikes.

you can also get a DAO (Double Action Only) model with the DAK trigger. Double Action Kellerman which puts the first trigger pull @ 6.5 foot pounds of pull each time it is FULLY RELEASED back to the original position, or @ 8.5 foot pounds of pull when it is not released, but held back after cycle, and then brought back to 1/2 way between fully reset (original position) and fully back. (look up DAK and Sig).
this pistol has a clipped hammer and no decocker on the side.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #18

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

they have stainless steel, Nitron coated slides with an anodized aluminum lower frame.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Of the metal 9mms I have experience with, I recommend these in order:

1) CZ 75b (thumb safety)- I like the trigger, the feel, and the price. They're heavy, but it's a good weight.
2) Sig P226 (no safety)- Best trigger of the bunch, great balance.
3) Browning Hi-Power (thumb safety)- The most sleek of the bunch. Lighter weight, good balance, but trigger can be a little rough without removing the magazine disconnect.
The BHP looks really nice. I find myself hoping I like it, and I would want it in gun-metal blue. Then I realize I could get an AR-15 for that. At least an AK. Hmmm. What to do?! I think I would get the AK. I will see about holding the hi-power though.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sigs and Brownings are best bought used on trading forums or through gun shows. I've seen various Sig P226/228/229 (pick whatever frame suits you, they're all outstanding guns) for $500-650 in oustanding condition. I recently found myself torn between a P228 and BHP Practical at recent gun show. Both appeared excellent (used), both were $499. I went with the Browning.

Personally, I'll take the "nearly new" Sig/BHP and keep an extra $300 in my wallet. CZs on the other hand, are offered at pretty competitive prices brand new...and the excellent used ones I've seen bring pretty close to the brand new price.