Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > After gun class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default After gun class

Hi everyone. I finally took a handgun class yesterday. I learned a little about guns and I fired a box of rounds from a 9mm PX4.

I really appreciate the time everyone gave me in a different thread. Now I am honing in on the gun I want and would like some thoughts.

I'm going back on Thursday to fire a metal gun in 9mm. I'm going to get 1 free rental from the local gunny (sp). I like the way the Beretta M9 feels, and I like a Sig up there. I forget the model (drats!) Anyway, I think I am going to like the metal guns. I would love to lessen the recoil (regardless of how little there is in the 9mm), and I held a 1911 and it just felt great.

I'll post back when I figure out which Sigs I held. I held a few and one felt good. I'll check back on Thursday.

Q. As for the Beretta M9, does anyone have anything bad to say about it?
A.

I had wanted a manual safety, but after the class, I feel more comfortable without a manual safety. I already know not to put my finger on the trigger unless it is go time, so now I'm not sure I want one. It seems like it is one more thing to worry about.

Q. Can you recommend a good metal piece without a manual safety in the price range of the M9?
A.

Q. I know the 1911 has a huge following...and I know why. Anybody have a lead on a used Colt 9mm 1911? $700 max?
A.

One more thing. Two guys were shooting 1911's yesterday. One was really accurate and one was way off. What's up with that? Are there any guns that can't be brought back into whack?

Sorry for the long post and tons of questions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #2

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations Tuco, you're off to a great start.

I believe the M9 is the military version of the Beretta 92 or vice-versa. I'm not 100% certain as the 1911 was the sidearm when I was in. My only complaint about it is that it's an awfully heavy pistol for a nine millimeter.
See if you can handle a CZ 75B in 9mm, it's steel as well, but not quite as heavy, I personally prefer it over the Beretta.

Most pistols are pretty accurate out of the box. There's really no way of telling what the issues may have been with those 1911's without looking at them and firing them.

As far as steel pistols, nothing else feels like one, but they can be heavy to carry all day. That's why a lot of folks carry polymer framed handguns.

Sigs are excellent pistols and if you choose to buy one, I'm sure that you'll be happy with it.

As far as a finding a used Colt in 9mm, there may be one out there, but you're probably going to have a tough time finding one.

Enjoy your search and take your time.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

+1 on the CZ. I just picked one up and absolutely love it. Very well built gun and a decent amount of aftermarket support for mags, grips, and such.

The M9 is the military designation for the Beretta 92. I haven't handled a 92 in several years, but they do have a good reputation for reliability and also good aftermarket support for accessories.

If you don't like the manual safety, don't engage it. Or simply shoot it enough to get accustomed to it. I don't like the safety on the CZ because I can't reach it with my strong hand thumb in a shooting grip, it's weak hand or adjusting my grip.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Liked 1797 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

CA,

You are correct! The M-9 is the military designation for the Beretta 92-F

Tuco

The Sig is a very good pistol. Nothing wrong with the Beretta but in my opinion they do not automatically point as naturally as some of the other pistols. We carried the Beretta 92 F the 92FS and later the 96 F.
I am not attempting to insult anyone because if a pistol fits you and you shoot well with it, that is the one for you. But when we went to another brand of pistol. The (One that I use to call combat Tupperware) Glock Model 22 and 23 in 40 cal. our overall agency scores improved by 11%. I could not say a whole lot about that. The results were conclusive. The Sig was right there also but at the time delivery was way out. Since it was end of the year budget money time dictated to us and we ordered the Glocks. Hated to say it at the time but it also was a good choice. I have a Sig 220 and it is a fine pistol. So it is important to take your time and buy one that fits you, you shoot well and you like. Sig-Springfield XD- Glock- 1911 Pistol-Beretta or whatever.
Good Luck with your choice.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #5

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 254

i was in the army during the transition from 1911 to m9 we had a lot of problems with them. inside 2 years i filled up the repair log with enough entries to equal 25 years of 1911 use in our arms room. supposedly they fixed a lot of those issues. i used to personally own a 92fs which is the civvie designation for the m9. my opinion total piece of junk. some folks like em and they do look cool. get the cz75 instead MUCH better gun

should be easy to find a used colt for 700$ if you can find someone willing to give one up.

accuracy in handguns is typically related more to the monkey holding it than the gun itself. even super cheap high points are decently accurate.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-20-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If they aren't outside your budget range, look at any of the H&K 9mm models and the Browning Hi-Power.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
CA,

Nothing wrong with the Beretta but in my opinion they do not automatically point as naturally as some of the other pistols
Good Luck with your choice.
The Beretta seemed a little muzzle-heavy. I just thought that might help with recoil. I know the recoil on a 9 shouldn't be that bad, but that's what I was thinking.

I did some more research and people seem to prefer the cz75 over the M9 hands down over all. I guess I'm eliminating the M9 quickly. The Sig was comfortable. I think it was the 226. I guess I'll look at the CZ and the 226.

[strike]On that note, can you tell me the difference between the CZ 75B/D? I found it once but I can't find it again.[/strike] I found it. Manual safety vs. decocker.

Thanks. Oh, and I liked the tupperware line.

Last edited by Tuco; 02-22-2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: answered one of my own questions

Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
If they aren't outside your budget range, look at any of the H&K 9mm models and the Browning Hi-Power.
Thanks for your input. The H&K's are indeed out of my budget. :-( I looked up the Brownings. It says they are single action and the British would keep them cocked. That wouldn't be right for me. It is a pretty gun though. It looks like the 1911. I had no idea I would like them so much!

I think I'm still going to look at the Sig and the CZ. The 1911 is really more than I want to spend. I have to admit that.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You need to be aware with the CZ75B that there are a few different models, there is a single action (like a 1911 in function, only fires with the hammer cocked), a de-cocker version like you already found, and the standard model which is SA/DA (single or double action, like a Ruger P-series and most non-cowboy revolvers). Just be aware of what you are looking at and what you want.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #10

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Of the metal 9mms I have experience with, I recommend these in order:

1) CZ 75b (thumb safety)- I like the trigger, the feel, and the price. They're heavy, but it's a good weight.
2) Sig P226 (no safety)- Best trigger of the bunch, great balance.
3) Browning Hi-Power (thumb safety)- The most sleek of the bunch. Lighter weight, good balance, but trigger can be a little rough without removing the magazine disconnect.

((((( big gap )))))

4) Beretta 92 (thumb)- Good gun, but a little bigger than it needs to be. Fat grip, which can be an asset if you've got big hands.
5) Hi-Power Clones (thumb)- These budget BHP takeoffs can be really good shooters in the $250-450 price range. Brands such as FEG, Arcus, FM Argentine, etc.

I own #1, 2, and 3....because, well, I like them that much. Honestly, it's splitting hairs between those three IMO. The CZ's price gives it the "buyer's value" advantage for my money. The Beretta just seems bulkier than necessary for my tastes, which is part of why I prefer the sleeker Browning and CZ designs.