Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > After Christmas purchase decision help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default After Christmas purchase decision help please

After Christmas, i should have a bit of coin left for a gift for me. There are a few handguns that i would like to have, but i'm having trouble with the order or priority: cz-82 or a tokarev, cz75 sp01 decocker or beretta 92fs, traditions "trapper" blackpowder pistol or a pendersoli BP kentucky pistol, or an inexpensive revolver in .38 or .357. Any help? I'm not really sure wich i would like better, the cz75 or the 92fs. I've lusted after a 92fs for years, but i've heard lots of good things about the cz75.

I currently have an XD45 that i am very happy with for self defense purposes; i am looking for more of a "fun" gun that is cheaper to shoot more frequently and a bit less utilitarian in nature.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0065766216925a&type=product&cmCat=SEAR CH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=traditions+tra pper+pistol&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS= true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fse arch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/21613
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/40995
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13380
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/cz-82-czech-9x18-makarov-military-pistol%2C-very-good-condition%2C-one-mag-c-r-/cPath/290/products_id/3050
^^^for reference only

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-25-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you're thinking about a Tokarev, Take a look at a CZ52, they're a better pistol.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

'gello - of your list, I have owned the Beretta and I have shot the CZ 75.

My Beretta was one of the early editions. It was purchased about 3 years after the first Lethal Weapon by my father and he later gave it to me as my first handgun. Later, a buddy bought the model 96F in .40 S&W.

Having run thousands of rounds through the weapon, I can tell you there are other, much better pistols out there, including the CZ-75.

The problem with the 92F, and the 96F, is that the slide is steel and the frame is aluminum. So, after a lot of cycling, the slide begins to wear on the frame. This causes a much looser fit between the two. This does not happen over night, it takes many trips to the range. But it starts with the black weapon coating fading, then you can see the aluminum running rails the slide rides on get a bid worn looking and then, eventually, you are able to mic a difference, not only in front to back wear, but also in wear from one side to the other.

Personally, I would recommend you stay away from the Beretta. It's expensive by name and you are not getting as good of a pistol as you would get with the CZ-75, which I love. Except for the fact it's not a 1911 - and therefor is not allowed in my safe.

JD

Old 12-25-2009, 01:51 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Orange=my 2c worth.

A year and a half ago, I bought a CZ P-01=Med size 14 round 9mm. I have never, up till then owned a non-US firearm. I bought this new, in the box, have put 3-4K rounds through it, and have been very happy with it. The 1/2 of a dozen non-fires that I have had through it, in this time, has been due to old/dead primer military ammo, and a few "Glocked" bulged cases, that had gotten through my hand loading inspection. I like most CZ owners have been very happy with it.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I`d also go for the CZ75.

Specially if you have small hands. The grip on the Beretta ist fairly big and hard to grip for small hands. The CZ75, even though it has a double row mag, has a nive and slim grip.
The reliability is very good on the CZ and it just pre fun to shoot.

The only alternative I am going for, is the Sig Sauer P226, that I have reserved at my gunsmith.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

i have owned a berreta 92 and have fired the CZ75 the CZ beats the berreta hands down. the berreta 92 is a piece of junk in my opinion. i generally dont sell guns once i buy them but i sold that one just to get rid of it.

CZ is quickly becoming a favorite gunmaker for me.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FWIW, I had a CZ 75B and it was an outstanding pistol. If you get the CZ, you won't go wrong.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
After Christmas, i should have a bit of coin left for a gift for me. There are a few handguns that i would like to have, but i'm having trouble with the order or priority: cz-82 or a tokarev, cz75 sp01 decocker or beretta 92fs, traditions "trapper" blackpowder pistol or a pendersoli BP kentucky pistol, or an inexpensive revolver in .38 or .357. Any help? I'm not really sure wich i would like better, the cz75 or the 92fs. I've lusted after a 92fs for years, but i've heard lots of good things about the cz75.

I currently have an XD45 that i am very happy with for self defense purposes; i am looking for more of a "fun" gun that is cheaper to shoot more frequently and a bit less utilitarian in nature.

Cabela's -- Traditions Trapper .50 Cal. Pistol
CZ CZ75 SP01 9mm 19-round for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $582.00
CZ-USA CZ75 SP-01 TACTICAL 9mm 19RD DECOCK NIGHT SIGHTS **SPEC for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $620.00
Beretta 92FS 9mm Matte Black, 15 round for Sale at Buds Gun Shop
CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol, Very Good condition, one mag. C&R.
^^^for reference only
Pretty sure that you'll be pleased with either choice. I have the Beretta and have never been disappointed. It's a BIG frame and will never be suitable for CCW if that's your plan but I believe that's true for the CZ as well. Both the 92FS and CZ-75 have a good reputation for reliability and out of box accuracy.

Good luck choosing and Merry Christmas.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default CZ PO-1 is MED Frame..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Pretty sure that you'll be pleased with either choice. I have the Beretta and have never been disappointed. It's a BIG frame and will never be suitable for CCW if that's your plan but I believe that's true for the CZ as well. Both the 92FS and CZ-75 have a good reputation for reliability and out of box accuracy.

Good luck choosing and Merry Christmas.
I own a CZ P0-1. It is a MED frame pistol, mfg. on the CZ-75 action, with the manual decocker. I have fired a Beretta 92 and it does feel BIG to me. I also own a series 80 Colt Govt. Model-it is a FULL size semi-auto that takes some extra cover to hide.
For me the P0-1 is easier to carry unnoticed, with a light covering, than my Colt is.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I sold my beretta 92f in order to get a cz75b Never looked back. The cz is better in looks, performance, and quality by miles.