Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > After 40 years it time for conceal carry. Which gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default After 40 years it time for conceal carry. Which gun

Ive been shooting big colts big smiths 22 targets and a baby eagle all basically too big for conceal carry in Houston climate. Been reading about Kahrs, LC9,LCR,smith body guard. Went to my local Gander Mountain to try em out. The one that felt the best including trigger pull was the LCR. Body Guard close second. I do want a DAO. I don't mind revolvers, but would rather have a little more firepower. Is there a dao smallish auto loader that I would like the trigger pull on in DAO?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Maybe an officer size 1911?

I carry a 4" Kimber in waistband, but I don't live in a humid climate

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrowning View Post
Ive been shooting big colts big smiths 22 targets and a baby eagle all basically too big for conceal carry in Houston climate. Been reading about Kahrs, LC9,LCR,smith body guard. Went to my local Gander Mountain to try em out. The one that felt the best including trigger pull was the LCR. Body Guard close second. I do want a DAO. I don't mind revolvers, but would rather have a little more firepower. Is there a dao smallish auto loader that I would like the trigger pull on in DAO?
If you get the LCR in .357 how much more firepower do you need? Were you talking quantity or quality?

Seriously, my J frame Smiths are just as smooth and just as light as the LCR, but it takes some work to make them that way. Out of the box there is no comparison between the two.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #4

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would get charter 357 SA/DA model without a ported barrel. If you can find a used one from the 70s even better. S&W used to be the best option but lately no frikin way. To many S&W guns are coming out that count on the grip to secure the handle frame. If you choose a DA only you are defeating the purpose of having revolver. Just as well get a glock.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #5

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I referred to firepower I was talking more than 5 or 6 down the pipe. Dao because I don't want to be accused of shooting someone "accidentally" At home I keep the Python loaded with 38 wc nice hole no collateral.If i get a revolver for cc again it would have wc.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You might give the M&P Shield, Walther PPS and Springfield XDS a look. They are striker-fired, which isn't the same as DAO, but it takes more to fire one of those than a single action. They are slim and, being polymer-framed, they are light. The Shield and PPS are available in either 9mm or .40, and the XDS is a .45.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

You could look at the Sig P250. If you are used to a DAO then I would recommend it. I think the pull is way to long but then again I prefer the DA/SA.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer6
You could look at the Sig P250. If you are used to a DAO then I would recommend it. I think the pull is way to long but then again I prefer the DA/SA.
Yeah I was looking at the p250 sub compact looks great, though I think it's a toss up between Springfield xd 9mm

Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you like a doa type trigger you will like a Kahr triggers for sure. Very smooth but with no stacking like revolvers have. I main go to is a cm9 but also have a cw9 but its not a pocket pistol

Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I carry a kel tec pf9 its doa 7 rounds and i put a belt clip right on it so i dont even need a holster it sits perfect.they arent the best name but its been reliable and accurate for me.