Affordable Defensive Sidearms (2009) - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Affordable Defensive Sidearms (2009)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
What's their reasoning for that? The only thing I can see, other than gun snobbery, is the fixed firing pin.
Let's see;
Gun Snobbery
Safety
Gun Snobbery
and I think Gun Snobbery.

cb

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Let's see;
Gun Snobbery
Safety
Gun Snobbery
and I think Gun Snobbery.

cb
I didn't realized that the firing pin was fixed until about a year ago. Because of that, I frequently cleared chambered rounds without reservation. It was never done gingerly either. I never had a round go off.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I imagine they have also banned use of any of the "ring of fire" pistols also?

Since there is no real reports of the Hi-Points going bang when clearing due to the fixed firing pin, my concern is most likely nothing to worry about. Those pistols should go bang correctly when you need them to (i.e. not unintentionally).

If someone really wants to get a Hi-Point, I would advise them to also pay attention to the magazines. Alot of the mags seem to be really low quality and won't work correctly (the rounds will nose-dive too much in the front and cause jams).

Also pay attention because of this reason identified in these two videos:

Not meant to be a jab at Hi-Point. These guns will work for you and they are reliable enough for the price. I think defects like this do speak bad for the QC of the company, though.

I will maintain that you can do much better for the money.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #24

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
+1 on that SGT.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I imagine they have also banned use of any of the "ring of fire" pistols also?

Since there is no real reports of the Hi-Points going bang when clearing due to the fixed firing pin, my concern is most likely nothing to worry about. Those pistols should go bang correctly when you need them to (i.e. not unintentionally).

If someone really wants to get a Hi-Point, I would advise them to also pay attention to the magazines. Alot of the mags seem to be really low quality and won't work correctly (the rounds will nose-dive too much in the front and cause jams).

Also pay attention because of this reason identified in these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5i_2zHqkBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAbEeMK2HFA

Not meant to be a jab at Hi-Point. These guns will work for you and they are reliable enough for the price. I think defects like this do speak bad for the QC of the company, though.

The ol' tap on the helmet trick works to keep the rounds from doing the nose dive.

1st Youtube video: Box clearly states that it's .;40 S&W, but the narrator claims it to be a .45. If the box says .40 S&W and the magazine is for .40 S&W and you paid $100 for it, you might take the hint that it's .40 S&W and they put the wrong slide on it.

Second video: Same jackass, different problem. All High Point pistols have this "defect", as do many other brands of firearms. Hell even ARs do it. The gun has to be cocked to get the safety to go on. This is a defect in the user, not in the gun.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 01-03-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That's true. After thinking about it, I do recall that the safety cannot go up on an uncocked Hi-Point. Although he did say it didn't work when the pistol was cocked also.

I do have to wonder how a .45 slide made it on a .40 pistol. That must be a first in the world of handguns.

The tap on the helmet trick did not work with that magazines. I had the same problem with some Hi-Point magazines and nothing I could do would fix the problem. I was going to return those magazines and get some other ones in return, but I ended up trading the pistols off instead. Just my experiences that's all.

Bottom line, the pistol started leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Other than the magazine issue, the gun worked fine on the range. I just realized that the style of pistol isn't for me.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
That's true. After thinking about it, I do recall that the safety cannot go up on an uncocked Hi-Point. Although he did say it didn't work when the pistol was cocked also.

I do have to wonder how a .45 slide made it on a .40 pistol. That must be a first in the world of handguns.

The tap on the helmet trick did not work with that magazines. I had the same problem with some Hi-Point magazines and nothing I could do would fix the problem. I was going to return those magazines and get some other ones in return, but I ended up trading the pistols off instead. Just my experiences that's all.

Bottom line, the pistol started leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Other than the magazine issue, the gun worked fine on the range. I just realized that the style of pistol isn't for me.
In the video though, you can clearly see that the trigger is in the fired position. The guy seems to be some gun snob that is either searching stores to find pistols that are less than perfect, or he's causing the problems himself, just to bad mouth the brand. The 9x19mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP slides, believe it or not, all interchange. Swapping them between pistols doesn't effect the function of the pistol in any way either. Likewise, the .380 and 9x19 share the same magazine.

They're by no means perfect, but you did a lot of work defending them yourself and the points that you've made still stand as truth.

They are cheaply made, but as such, the end user saves a good deal of money on a pistol that work very well for what one pays for it. They have a warranty that is usually only found on pistols who's price is 20 times what the High Points cost.

Roger Waters

Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I did defend them alot at one time. For the price they are not all bad. The warranty is great. The calibers offered are popular. The fact they are +P rated is nice. The pistol is heavy which will control recoil a little bit. The manual of arms is straightforward which is great for a beginner.

They do work as intended, but after doing some research, and learning a few things from other members on this forum, I now believe that a person can do better for around the same amount of money.

Like I said before, just another case of someone changing their opinions after a little research and comparision.

Bottom line:

Can a Hi-Point serve well as a defensive handgun? Yes, it absolutely can.

Can a person get a better quality handgun for around the same amount of money? Yes they can.

P.S. At one point in time I told myself that I would only buy USA made firearms. I realized that I would be missing out on alot of really nice firearms that way, so I did some research and decided to change my opinion on that. I'm glad I changed my mind, because if I didn't I wouldn't have my RIA 1911 or my FEG PA63.

Last edited by SGT-MILLER; 01-03-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I did defend them alot at one time. For the price they are not all bad. The warranty is great. The calibers offered are popular. The fact they are +P rated is nice. The pistol is heavy which will control recoil a little bit. The manual of arms is straightforward which is great for a beginner.

They do work as intended, but after doing some research, and learning a few things from other members on this forum, I now believe that a person can do better for around the same amount of money.

Like I said before, just another case of someone changing their opinions after a little research and comparision.

Bottom line:

Can a Hi-Point serve well as a defensive handgun? Yes, it absolutely can.

Can a person get a better quality handgun for around the same amount of money? Yes they can.

P.S. At one point in time I told myself that I would only buy USA made firearms. I realized that I would be missing out on alot of really nice firearms that way, so I did some research and decided to change my opinion on that. I'm glad I changed my mind, because if I didn't I wouldn't have my RIA 1911 or my FEG PA63.
You're loving the hell out of the new 1911, aren't you? Do you have many rounds through it yet?

Roger Waters

Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

NO I DON'T HAVE ANY ROUNDS THROUGH IT YET!!!!! ( Throws a pillow across the room and pouts )

Lately with the holiday, and in-laws, and bad weather, and everything else that's been keeping me busy, I haven't been able to get to the range yet.

I'm literally jumping at the bit to get to the range so I can shoot my 1911 and my PA63.