Affordable Defensive Sidearms (2009) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Affordable Defensive Sidearms (2009)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You totally misread my post.

I said that higher price doesn't mean higher quality in ALL cases.

Sure you can get good quality, but paying higher doesn't mean you are immune to getting lemons.

On that same note, lower price doesn't automatically mean that you are getting a piece of crap gun.

The only reason these guns are cheap is because they are old mil-surp and are a dime a dozen.

Like I said before in previous posts, if you can afford to spend a little more money on a firearm, then do it. Especially in regards to getting a 1911 style pistol (the best design you can get). Another option is to buy an inexpensive firearm like what I listed, and save up money until you can get a more expensive pistol.

Last edited by SGT-MILLER; 01-02-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Point taken, guess I did misread/misinterpet you.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
You totally misread my post.

I said that higher price doesn't mean higher quality in ALL cases.

Sure you can get good quality, but paying higher doesn't mean you are immune to getting lemons.

On that same note, lower price doesn't automatically mean that you are getting a piece of crap gun.

The only reason these guns are cheap is because they are old mil-surp and are a dime a dozen.

Like I said before in previous posts, if you can afford to spend a little more money on a firearm, then do it. Especially in regards to getting a 1911 style pistol (the best design you can get). Another option is to buy an inexpensive firearm like what I listed, and save up money until you can get a more expensive pistol.
I got $600 for my Kimber when the economy took a crap and I got laid off at least, you can't say that for some POS commie surplus pistol. Keep in mind that I paid about $700 for it in '01 and it's got at least 10k rounds through the pipe.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

True, these "cheap" pistols hold no value, but then again, that's not the reason for buying a sidearm for defense.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
True, these "cheap" pistols hold no value, but then again, that's not the reason for buying a sidearm for defense.
It hurt me to sell the Kimber, but it kept the heat turned on and kept food in my kids' mouths. I didn't buy the pistol as an investment, it just ended up that way. C'est la vie.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I really do hope you'll be able to get another Kimber sometime soon. I've had to get rid of a well-liked firearm before so I feel your pain.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #17

I have a Hi-Point 9mm that I would gladly get rid of....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I got rid of my Hi-Points a while ago (a 9mm and a .45 ACP). I traded them off to help purchase a nice RIA 1911 pistol.

I didn't like how the Hi-Points would leave an indent on the primer of a live round if you tried to clear out the pistol. It's probably a non-issue, but it made me nervous regardless.

Considering that there are better quality pistols out there than the Hi-Points, I would now advise to avoid buying a Hi-Point unless nothing else is available to you. A Hi-Point will fire and will operate as intended, but you'll get much better quality from something like a Makarov, CZ-52, etc....

Basically I really liked the Hi-Points when I first got them. The longer I owned them the more I hated holding them in my hand. I wanted something different and better.

To each their own. I am a perfect example of how a persons taste can change over some time and research.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #19

Liked 1433 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Two of the ranges in my area will not allow the use of any Hi-Points.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Two of the ranges in my area will not allow the use of any Hi-Points.
What's their reasoning for that? The only thing I can see, other than gun snobbery, is the fixed firing pin.

Roger Waters