Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Affordable Defensive Sidearms (2009)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Affordable Defensive Sidearms (2009)

Updated list of quality and affordable defensive sidearms for the budget-minded individual.

FEG PA-63 (9x18mm Makarov). Retail Price: $140.00 (est)

Makarov IZH-70 (9x18mm Makarov) or (.380 ACP). Retail price $170.00 (est)

CZ-82 (9x18mm Makarov). Retail price $170.00 (est)

Tokarev TT33 (7.62x25mm) Retail price $180.00 (est)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2009, 03:50 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your idea of affordable, and my idea of affordable are a lot different. I'd rather have a good used Ruger security six, Ruger P series, RIA 1911, S&W model 28, other S&W used revolver, or something along those lines.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm talking more along the lines of the most affordable while still getting a decent firearm.

Like for example, if you have someone that can barely scrape any money together, and they have a need for a defensive sidearm.

Of course if you can afford more, than you could go the likes of any used Ruger semi-automatic or revolver, or go with the choices you just listed.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Administrator

Liked 687 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 729

What's the quality of these sidearms though?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

In my opinion, the quality of these pistols are excellent.

They are all very simple to field strip and maintain. The ammunition is readily available and not too expensive. The accuracy is on par with any other "service" grade pistol.

I think these pistols are the way to go when you cannot possibly afford anything else.

Another plus about these pistols is they are all (not sure about the PA-63) C & R eligible. Consider that it only costs 30 dollars to obtain a C & R license, you can get these for even possibly cheaper and get them delivered straight to your door.

Some other member of this forum have these types of pistols and they have very good reviews regarding them.

I now have a PA-63 and that is my utility gun. I am going to order some more magazines for it (14.00 on J&G) and will be using it as a CCW and a "tackle box" gun of sorts.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #6

Sgt.,
Agree with you. Have no experience with the Tok though.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #7

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Budget personal-security is an oxymoron.
Your (my) life has no price. If I have the slightest doubt, it doesn’t get carried!
Now if you are talking about a fun gun for pop can plinking or a range lizard duty I have no problem with cheap.
The minute it takes on the responsibility of protecting me everything changes!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Budget personal-security is an oxymoron.
Your (my) life has no price. If I have the slightest doubt, it doesn’t get carried!
Now if you are talking about a fun gun for pop can plinking or a range lizard duty I have no problem with cheap.
The minute it takes on the responsibility of protecting me everything changes!
Quoted for truth.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Like I said, this is for people that have almost NO funds for a firearm.

Being the recession and all, it could be helpful for someone who maybe lost their job and is stuck with an entry level position and is living in a questionable neighborhood.

If you have the ability to spend more money, then go for it. Just remember, those expensive Glocks, Kimbers, Rugers, Berettas can possibly jam at the moment of truth also.

I ask people not to drink from the "more money equals better quality" kool-aid. It's simply not true in all cases.

I would trust my life to a well-maintained Tokarev any day. Are you familiar with the performance ballistics of a 7.62x25mm Tokarev round?

Even the 9x18mm Makarov rounds have decent performance when you buy something like the newer Hornady 95gr hollowpoints.

Heck, I'm sure you guys are well aware of the good reputation the CZ-82 has as a carry piece. 12 rounds, still qualifies for C&R, and the accuracy is jsut as good as any other service-type pistol.

Bottom line, this is just info for those people that don't have the luxury of money or credit cards to go spend a big chunk of money on a firearm like a Springfield/Glock/Kimber/(insert other popular firearm maker here).

Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sgt-I can see exactly where you are coming from on reccomending reliable guns for people in need on extremely limited budget, but HIGHLY disagree with you about better quality, better built, better designs not being any more reliable-both in functional AND power wise. There's NO WAY you're going to convince ME that a top quality 1911 is no better than those much cheaper firearms. We'll have to agree to disagree on that. And to the effectiveness, with all other things 1/2 way equal-the bigger bullet IS going to make the bigger hole-end of story. Combine the bigger hole with enough penetration and you have the best possible defense gun.