Advice Choosing My First Handgun - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Advice Choosing My First Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

OP, while you're checking out as many guns as possible, be sure to include the SIG P938! It fits your original wish list to a "T", IMHO.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #22

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

IMO, the best all around handgun, and the one I would choose if I could only have one handgun, is a K frame (or equalivant) .357 magnum revolver with a 4 inch barrel (sorry 1911 -- you're still my favorite). It will shoot everything from low power .38 target load to hot Buffalo Bore hunting rounds. It is small enough to be a carry gun, but large enough to be a comfortable and accurate plinker.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
The reason I was thinking about made in the USA is I was thinking the gun may have better quality control and service if something ever went wrong. Could I save money by getting a Taurus or is it not worth the few bucks you save?
As far as I know glock has one of the best service. And because of the design I'm not sure there are too many quality control issues. I just didn't like the glock I think the trigger pull was awful I kept shooting low and to the left no matter how hard I tried to control it.

A lot of gun manufacturers have quite good service. This is mostly because of liability issues if the gun malfunctions and you get hurt. But every manufacturer has a US location because of the law. Like my Israeli baby eagle is imported by magnum research so magnum research does the service on it.

However, if you buy a quality gun and take care of it you should never have to use the manufacturer service. Guns are generally built for life or longer...

Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #24

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I personally won't own another Ruger DA pistol.. More accurate then a Glock..? Highly debatable and inflammatory to say the least...
My personal exp says otherwise, and the XD's are better then Rugers and as good if not better then Glocks.. I've owned two of all three and 1000's of rounds in each and everyone who shoots with me will tell you the same.
Over reach on that statement. There are plenty of people who don't shoot with you that would disagree. Also notice the OP is looking for first handgun, hence my suggestion. I know there are nicer pistols out there but not for the price range of the SR family.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #25

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

I recommend the ruger sr family as well. Great hand gun easy to clean fun to shoot if you the the compacts you can easily conceal them. THUMB SAFTEY I also love the way the all blued ones look here's my 40c. Although the 9mm would be better for a beginner I don't know how long it will be before you can get ammo.
image-266924408.jpg  

Last edited by gearhead396; 03-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #26

Thank you all for the help and advice. The S&W sd9ve is in my price range so is the Ruger lc9 , sr9c. The Sig Sauer guns are nice but too rich for my wallet. I like the compact 1911 but price is the issue there as well. I do like the simplicity of DAO with no thumb safety as it fires by pulling the trigger which in a panic situation would be a no brainier.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #27

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
Thank you all for the help and advice. The S&W sd9ve is in my price range so is the Ruger lc9 , sr9c. The Sig Sauer guns are nice but too rich for my wallet. I like the compact 1911 but price is the issue there as well. I do like the simplicity of DAO with no thumb safety as it fires by pulling the trigger which in a panic situation would be a no brainier.
If you really want a Sig look at the CPO (certified Pre Owned) models. You can save a lit of money and other than some holster wear you will have a great pistol.

I'm a HUGE proponent of picking up as many as you can and find what feels best to you. I thought I'd add the Sig info in case you had not known about the CPO guns. They are usually police trade ins and are went over at a shop and are as far as function new guns.