Advice Choosing My First Handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Advice Choosing My First Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hello everyone. I am in the market for my first handgun. I am looking for a "jack of all trades" gun. I realize there is no one perfect gun. What I mean by jack of all trades is I only have money for one gun and I want it for many uses such as:
concealed carry
apartment defense
fun practicing at the range
made in the USA
balance between power, cost of ammo, and recoil

Thank you for the advice and help.

Last edited by s1mp13m4n; 03-09-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Glock covers all those. It's also a good basic gun anyone could take care of and it is almost always 100% reliable. The model 26 and 27 work for conceal, and are still fun to shoot at the range.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
Glock covers all those. It's also a good basic gun anyone could take care of and it is almost always 100% reliable. The model 26 and 27 work for conceal, and are still fun to shoot at the range.
I didn't think Glock was made in the USA?

To OP, I'd go with Smith & Wesson.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Ruger SR9C or S&W Shield. Made in the USA and either one covers everything else on yor list.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #5

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk

I didn't think Glock was made in the USA?

To OP, I'd go with Smith & Wesson.
They just opened a plant in Georgia

Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

First off I wouldn't worry to much where it is made. As a law a percentage of the gun has to be manufactured in the usa anyway. Pick up every gun you see and see what feels the best to you. I bought a glock because that is what the cops have here. Boy was that a mistake. The trigger pull sucks and I couldn't hit anything with it. Then I picked up a baby eagle and it felt like it was meant to be in my hand. I bought it on the spot. I recently traded off my glock but don't plan on ever getting rid of my baby eagle.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #7

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

My first was a Glock 21, it was a great gun and regret selling it. It was my repossession partner
My advice is and will be to visit a range or two and rent some different models that interest you and choose the one that you take to the most naturally. I'm of the opinion that lots if guns, all diff sizes and calibers meet your needs and shooting as many as you can before making your purchase is a wise way narrow down your list of possible candidates.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #8

The reason I was thinking about made in the USA is I was thinking the gun may have better quality control and service if something ever went wrong. Could I save money by getting a Taurus or is it not worth the few bucks you save?

Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I personally don't own a Taurus. Some of my range buddies have been very disappointed in them lately, and another buddy who works at a local pawn shop that is more a gun store than pawn shop told me they've had a great deal of issues straight out of the box with Taurus, and decided to no longer carry them. I've not experienced any issues as I wouldn't own one, but that's just what I've seen lately.

As for made in the USA, Smith and Wesson is a good pick. They have a knock off design of the Glock in the Sigma line (so close they got sued by Glock and had to pay a settlement for it)

Glock, if anyone who looks at their gun can see, is based locally here in Smyrna Georgia. They did open a plant here very recently. Colt and Remington also make excellent handguns.

And finally, Taurus is made in Brazil I believe, if memory serves. If not Brazil, definitely South America in that area. I think I remember reading they were based in Porto Alerti or something like that.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #10

Liked 2476 Times on 1414 Posts
Likes Given: 1933

Borrow, rent, try friends pistols till you find something you like.

Everybody's different. I'm big, so no problem carrying a

full size Beretta or 45.

But I'm afraid of Glocks.