advice for a beginner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > advice for a beginner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default advice for a beginner

I got to shoot a couple different guns this weekend for the first time and had some fun. Looking to invest in a handgun of my own as my girlfriends family likes to go out and shoot. I have done some research but still not sure what I want. I got to shoot a 9mm and a 22. I liked the 9mm and I think that's the round I'd like to use also my girlfriend likes the 9mm as well. This will be home defense and possibly concealed carry if I decide to go through the classes.

I have picked out a few models but from what I'm told you really need to go hold/shoot to get a good feel for what is comfortable

Below is my list im not sure if my prices are completely accurate but I tried to find a range of prices. Does anyone have other recommendations or ones in this list I should avoid. Thanks in advance.

H&K P30 $860 (probably not going to even look at because of price)
S&W M&P 9 $570
S&W M&P compact
sig sauer p250 $500
Baretta M9 $550
Glock G19 $600

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1157 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 161

All of those are great choices, however the sig is going to be little more then 500.

The G-19 is an excellent weapon, especially for first time handgun owner.

Like you mentioned, I would find a range that rents firearms and try them out, see what fits your hand and you shoot accurately

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2718 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

You might consider renting and shooting something from the Ruger SR series. I'm very impressed with my SR9c & SR45! I paid $469.00 & $399.00 respectively.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1157 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
You might consider renting and shooting something from the Ruger SR series. I'm very impressed with my SR9c & SR45! I paid $469.00 & $399.00 respectively.
I agree, the Ruger makes an excellent line..... My wife has a Ruger SR9c and loves it

Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1514 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 529

Guns that you can conceal easily are not a lot of fun at the range. I would consider a full size pistol with a 5" barrel until you are confident you can carry a gun safely. Then you can buy a gun you can conceal easily. Guns that are easily concealed are carried a lot and shot a little.

I would look for a pistol that can be fired in single action. Unless you are shooting IDPA or any of the run and gun games a double action only gets boring in a hurry. Double actions are meant to be combat accurate, not bullseye shooters.

Most people here have several pistols because each of them is a tool for a specific purpose.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-03-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 452 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Get a .357 revolver with a 4" barrel. You can shoot .357 and .38 special. Revolvers are great for learning how to shoot and very dependable. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

People Like This 
Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #7

Liked 1807 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

9mm is a good self defense cartridge. 22 is a great range gun. I would be looking at something from Ruger. The SR line has some really good guns in it. I personally have a P95. That is a 9mm. The P series all have exposed hammers. The SR series are striker fired kind of like a Glock. But don't forget about the Springfield XD series and the Smith & Wesson M&P Series. All very good guns.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

Liked 218 Times on 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I was going to recommend a Ruger SR9 also. Good price and Ruger also has a rep. for great customer service should should have any issues.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2800 Times on 1619 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

As an instructor, I've seen too many beginners shun the revolver and go right to the semi-auto and wonder why they can't hit the target.

The simple answer is that most do not learn the basics first.

That is like getting your license and then buying an F-1 race car and wonder why people drive better than you. Some things have to be trained.

I would get the 4" revolver in .357 Magnum and start with .38 Specials in it.

With a revolver, you are less likely to "spray and pray".

And no matter what you get first, get some proper training from a certified instructor before hand. Not your uncle who owns a lot of guns.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1729 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by endobro View Post
. . . . This will be home defense and possibly concealed carry if I decide to go through the classes. . . .
if ?

Unless your girlfriend’s family who "likes to go out and shoot" are able and willing to give you a through grounding in proper firearm handling, I’d really recommend the classes.

Past that, keep in mind the cost and availability of feeding the firearms. One can shoot both .40 & 9mm with a change of barrels on a .40 Glock, and as previously mentioned the .357 revolvers can also shoot .38. The stock Glock doesn’t take +P or +P+ ammunition, or lead bullets. It may be wise to select a pistol or revolver that can give you some flexibility of ammo. Take a look at what size ammo is on the shelves, or read the threads here about the ammo shortage to get a better idea of the limitation. Whatever the current availability of ammo is now, there will be reoccurring shortages caused by reoccurring firearm tragedies and the resulting regulations.

The .22 will be cheaper and more fun to shoot. However I’ve found the difference between shooting my .22 and the G19 to be HUGE as far transferable marksmanship, and that’s even keeping the difference between bull’s-eye and self-defense shooting in mind.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-03-2013 at 05:12 PM.
People Like This