Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
1)4-6 rounds is great if you don't miss under stress, your attacker stops after a couple weak shots from a pistol,
2)and you can guarantee taht the only situation you could ever pssible find yourself in would include only one attacker
3)where you had no interfering barriers, clothing, and only had head on shots to take.
4)lso hope that your ammo performs just like it does on bare gellatin.
5)Hollywood has also perpetuated the myths that people stop all aggression as soon as they get shot once, and muggers, burglers, street thugs only act as single attackers. Also the myth that a handgun actually posseses serious power and energy that can actually knock people down, or even off of their feet, or remove limbs.
called 911 and walked out of the house to wait for the EMTs on the porch.
1) At typical civilian self defense handgun engagement distances (8 yds or less) with 6 rounds most of us would hit at least a couple of times. Any engagement beyond handgun distance would not be considered a self defense situation and there fore is not properly part of this discussion we are not looking at a military requiremnents set.
2) No of course not, but in a civilian self defense situation ( other than mass rioyts for which a handgun is unsuitable anyway) you will not see hordes of determinbed combatrants surging at you ( and then you need a rifle anytway) , for the 1 or too somtimes 3 assailatnts 6 rds are plenty.
Every single objective study has shown that 2 rds or less are fired. even if faced with 4 teenage punks 9 oh ehaveens) they would scatter after the frist round. Its been shown time again.. this isnt the movies
3) most common handgun rounds but especially the .357 Magnum round will have no problem with any of those things
4) I have no worry that a hit of .357 Mag to your center mass will utterly incapactitate you. the human body cosists mostly of water just like ballistic gelatin..
5) Actually hollywood has perpetuated the opposite myth where heroes despite one or even 2 hits still heroically fight and often the voillains too.
6) Personal anecdoctes and nice and cute and all but they dont nullify objective empirical reality we have found in this country for many deacdes of studies for civilian self defense sitations
- First rounds count
your ability to hit on the first (or at latest the second) round will decide the fight one way another. This is the case in the vast majority of ciitzen self defense situations.
- Revolvers shine in the ability to make the first round hit.
Due to its simplicity and superior first round hit capability the revolver is objectively the ideal civilian self defense hand gun.
We all like to think of ourselfes as Rambo heroically fighitng off hordes, but thats not the reality of civilian self defense.