about a gun I might purchase - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > about a gun I might purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If it hasnt been suggested, read Principles of Self Defense by Jeff Cooper first.
Its cheaper than a gun, too.

Jay

Old 03-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #22

I agree with those that said "if your not willing to kill to stop the threat dont carry". Dead men dont sue. If you just wound someone you stand the chance of being sued and in alot of cases the bad guy wins and you become the victim again.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #23
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is a Forest Gump answer...if you use a leathal wepon expect it to be leathal and use it to it's full potenial. If you have issue with using leathal force then carry a less than leathal form of protection.

Life is like a box of... you never know what you will get. So prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
This is a Forest Gump answer...if you use a leathal wepon expect it to be leathal and use it to it's full potenial. If you have issue with using leathal force then carry a less than leathal form of protection.

Life is like a box of... you never know what you will get. So prepare for the worse and hope for the best.
Yeah, and the kind of self-defense events we're talking about here are like getting the crappy orange cream filled chocolate...

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One main reason I don't carry a gun is because I am not absolutely convinced that I will be able to use it when the time comes. That means I'd probably be providing my assailant with a weapon.

You shouldn't carry one either.

I think there are many people who THINK they'll use it when the time comes who are just wrong. Know thyself before strapping one on.

(Another big reason is I just don't think I'm in that much danger from day to day).

Last edited by 741512th; 03-11-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Wow, there's nothing I can add to this thread. I'll just parrot what everyone else has already stated.

If you intended to carry a weapon, you must intend to use it to end life. If you carry a weapon and intend to use it merely to wound, you risk your own life and the lives of those around you, as you've just made an attacker even more hostile and if they didn't already have one, you've just given them a firearm.

A defensive shot should be placed center mass and it should be done with the largest bullet that a person is capable of controlling. If you're not mentally/psychologically capable of delivering a potentially life end shot with a firearm, you need to stick to something like pepper spray or a Taser. To do anything less is irresponsible.

To put a .22 LR round into someone's shoulder isn't going to do a damn thing to them, until the adrenaline from the attack wears off. As stated many times before, this only endangers your life more than it already was. On the other hand, to put a 9mm +P+ hollow point into the attacker's chest, would leave you and those around you perfectly safe, as you've quickly eliminated the threat.

There are many professional shooters and well seasoned defensive carry folks on this forum. This topic has also been covered at great length. Feel free to look around and see what has been stated in other threads.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 03-11-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

After having given it some thought, I feel that the money would be better spent on a tactical/defensive/EVOC type driving course. If unable to willingly take human life to defend yourself and the occupants of your vehicle, you should at least be able to quickly haul them and yourself out of harm's way.

Slamming an attacker in the chest with your car door and quickly executing the proper turn would, if executed properly, do the same thing for you that a firearm would. The only downside is that once the attacker catches his breath, he's probably going to go after the next car in line.

Another option would be to take some sort of martial arts class that teaches you situational awareness. Situation awareness has kept more people alive than firearms have. We're all born with the "hairs on our necks standing up" response. Most of us just need to be retrained in it's use.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 03-11-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightmama View Post
Hello,

I was hoping you could help me? I am looking at a gun for my protection. I do not want to kill, just hurt and run.......I would shoot and that would be at close range I do not want to kill him, ......... I do not want to kill! but I do not want to be killed either, and I want him in the emergency room so the police could catch him. Is this the right gun, and off of my scenerio how would it harm him?
Stay as far away from a gun as you can get. Given your current thoughts on the subject, you do not need one. A gun is deadly force and should be used to prevent same (deadly force) from being used on you. If you are not willing to kill someone to protect your life or your family's life, DO NOT GET A GUN.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting reading on the topic of shooting to wound:

Force Science News #40: Why Shooting to Wound Doesn’t Make Sense Scientifically, Legally or Tactically at Force Science News

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill