9mm vs 40s&w vs 45acp is silly - Page 5

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm vs 40s&w vs 45acp is silly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I have one question. Why is it we don't use light fast bullets for dangerous game? No one in their right mind would load their 44 mag with 180 grain bullets to hunt dangerous game, every body uses heavy for caliber bullets traveling at much lower velocities and less Ft. Lbs. of energy. Why would you think humans are any different.?
im going to go out on a limb here and correct me if i am wrong,,, when i hit a deer with a 130g .270 win,, it almost always goes completely threw but the hydrostatic shock of the bullet any where near some thing vital ensures a kill,,, there have been 3 occasions in my life that i have gotten two coyotes with one bullet as well and both drop on the spot

in a self defense situation you really want to hit the target as hard as you can and leave the largest possible "permanent" wound channel possible with out the over penetration of a high speed bullet cause in that situation a double kill could be murder

sure a high powered rifle would work better than any pistol round in causing instant capacitation but there are great risk in using such a weapon

im not good with words but im sure some one here will understand what i am trying to say and possibly put it in better words

Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1858 Times on 1087 Posts
Likes Given: 885

You want a 'long (deep) and wide' permanent wound channel on ANY live target you intend to 'stop' PERIOD!!!!
But there is little to no comparison between 'game animals' and humans.
Some say goats are close, some say small pigs are close. Key word here CLOSE!!!
Every intended target has different properties you MUST consider when engineering a 'bullet' to perform effectively on it.
This thread is about handgun calibers and the ammunition companies have went to great lengths with their R&D to engineer effective rounds in the stated calibers for stopping a human target. Take advantage of this R&D and it doesn't matter which of the calibers you elect to carry they are all basically the same in their ability to 'stop the fight' IF you do your part by placing the projectiles where they will do the most good!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 563

The 40 is only snappy in a light gun. The mfgs have put the 40 on a 9mm frame. Put it on a service size pistol and it is fairly tame but not many carry service or duty size pistols. It still comes down to what you shoot best and how much gun you are willing to carry. I much prefer a carbine for home defense over the pistol or the shotgun but it is not practical to carry a rifle around all day and they are rather hard to deploy in a car.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Nathantc Likes This