9mm vs 40s&w vs 45acp is silly - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

9mm vs 40s&w vs 45acp is silly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Modern ammo being what it is today one should worry more about what caliber they shoot best.

People Like This 
Old 05-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #32

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

I think far too many people assume things in general, also do so for or about others.

I find it extremely hard to believe that one whom CAN find a 9mm they shoot well, and accurate with, can't do the same with a 40 or 45. With the plethora of different guns in different shapes and sizes it's more than simply reasonable to think this very achievable. Thus caliber debate is very valid!

So, supposing I shoot one as well as another, then why not do my best to ensure I find my best option for a quick and safe end to any possible altercation?

I will continue to endeavor to find the best man stopper for me, because it's not one size fits all, but I do firmly believe it's one size fits best. From there I have to determine if this caliber is in a gun I am willing to carry. That's the true deciding factor!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Just a personal observation here, not statistics.

IME in LE the younger officers tended to favor the .45. (when allowed)

The older, more experienced officers tended to favor 9mm or .40

"Back in the day" when cowboy guns were required, most "uniforms" carried .357 with 4 or 6 inch barrel. I carried a 6 inch.

In the detective bureau, the younger detectives usually carried medium frame .357 magnums. Older detectives usually carried small frame .,38 special.

This doesn't prove anything, just a personal observation.
I resemble that!!!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #34

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I think far too many people assume things in general, also do so for or about others.

I find it extremely hard to believe that one whom CAN find a 9mm they shoot well, and accurate with, can't do the same with a 40 or 45. With the plethora of different guns in different shapes and sizes it's more than simply reasonable to think this very achievable. Thus caliber debate is very valid!

So, supposing I shoot one as well as another, then why not do my best to ensure I find my best option for a quick and safe end to any possible altercation?

I will continue to endeavor to find the best man stopper for me, because it's not one size fits all, but I do firmly believe it's one size fits best. From there I have to determine if this caliber is in a gun I am willing to carry. That's the true deciding factor!
That's kind of taking a lets fix something that isn't broke angle. Some people don't like the snappy recoil of a 40. Some think the 45 is too much. Most shooters will shoot a certain style of pistol and/or a certain caliber better than others. Taking time ot learn another when that time can be used to become more proficient with one really is a better use of ones resources.

I shoot a lot of different types of pistol in a few calibers. I like them all but I seem to shoot a 1911 in 45ACP a little better when time is of the essence. So that's usually what I keep with me.
People Like This 
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

a lot of it is preference. my wife has no problem with 380, 9mm or 40, but shies away form my 45's and the 44 mag. now she will jump at the chance to shoot 357 Magnum but not shoot my 45's? i personally consider the 357 to have more felt recoil than my 45's.

so go figure!
People Like This 
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8203 Times on 4480 Posts
Likes Given: 7976

[QUOTE=BeyondTheBox;1235027

Thus caliber debate is very valid!

I will continue to endeavor to find the best man stopper for me, because it's not one size fits all, but I do firmly believe it's one size fits best. From there I have to determine if this caliber is in a gun I am willing to carry. That's the true deciding factor![/QUOTE]

BTB, if there is one thing that I have become convinced of over the last 69 years, it is that NO HANDGUN is a reliable man stopper without a CNS hit.

A good friend of mine was a Highway Patrolman that reasponded to a "man with a gun, shots fired" call at a rural bar.

He exited his vehicle with his Ruger .44 Magnum semi-auto carbine, loaded with 4 JHP rounds.

The perp walked up to him, with a .25 auto in hand. the officer told him to drop the weapon. Instead he started to raise it. he was shot 4 times, COM at point blank, with a .44 CARBINE.

He managed to empty his magazine, striking my buddy twice in the abdomen before dying.

All four bullets were recovered from the body, and all had mushroomed perfectly.

I realize this is a 1 in 10,000 case, but I will never trust any handgun to instantly incapacitate an individual without a CNS hit.
People Like This 
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree with Locutus, there is no do it all one caliber for everyone.

i advocate and suggest for a person to shoot or carry the largest caliber they can hit with accurately and consistently. proven fact, larger holes bleed faster! but accurate hits with a smaller caliber trump misses with a larger caliber.

i have heard some talk of the sharp recoil of the 40, and IMO it does have a sharp recoil compared to some others, but my wife has no problem shooting a 40 and actually she likes the 40 almost as much as i do. she doesn't really care for the 45, but likes shooting full magnum loads of 357.

find a caliber and pistol that suits your needs and preferences and practice with it. and practice on regular basis. there is no substitute for proper practice.
Nathantc Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #38

Liked 3386 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 3093

I have one question. Why is it we don't use light fast bullets for dangerous game? No one in their right mind would load their 44 mag with 180 grain bullets to hunt dangerous game, every body uses heavy for caliber bullets traveling at much lower velocities and less Ft. Lbs. of energy. Why would you think humans are any different.?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #39

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

That's kind of taking a lets fix something that isn't broke angle. Some people don't like the snappy recoil of a 40. Some think the 45 is too much. Most shooters will shoot a certain style of pistol and/or a certain caliber better than others. Taking time ot learn another when that time can be used to become more proficient with one really is a better use of ones resources.

I shoot a lot of different types of pistol in a few calibers. I like them all but I seem to shoot a 1911 in 45ACP a little better when time is of the essence. So that's usually what I keep with me.
I think you misread it man.

I think you all did, but no surprise there.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-03-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Nathantc Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I have one question. Why is it we don't use light fast bullets for dangerous game? No one in their right mind would load their 44 mag with 180 grain bullets to hunt dangerous game, every body uses heavy for caliber bullets traveling at much lower velocities and less Ft. Lbs. of energy. Why would you think humans are any different.?
Because they are different!!!