Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm vs .40

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 9mm vs .40

Hey everybody. I'm in the market for my first gun. I will be using it at the range, CCW, and home defense. I'm interested in everyone's feedback on caliber. I'm already sold on either a S&W M&P or Glock. Who knows, maybe both. I have shot both calibers between the two manufactures and have no problem with either one. But which on is really the best caliber.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I have both the 9mm and .40 ACP. Personally, I like the 9mm as a personal and home defense weapon loaded with Corbon 125 +P JHP. At the range I shoot Federal 115 grain FMJ all day long. My personal preference is the Phoenix HP22 loaded with Federal 36 grain copper plated hollow points as a CCW carry due to its size and concealment. Personal protection will usually take place at point blank range, and the HP22 is very effective at that distance.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If ammo cost is a factor to you go with the 9mm. Capacity also goes to the 9mm. Really just depends on what you like. The difference in the wound channel produced and energy is pretty minimal with good ammo. I shoot all my 9mm handguns more than all my others just because of ammo cost.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #4

With today's personal defense ammo such as gold dot, pdx, critical defense, etc both are more than adequate rounds. I personally shoot the .40, but with 9mm your gun will hold more and they are cheaper. The .40 hits harder.

So if your budget is tight go 9mm, if not then really it's a question if you want more mag cap, or stopping power.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #5

Liked 2339 Times on 1521 Posts

Three well put responses. All I could add is whatever feels right or more comfortable. M&P is US made, glock is imported. Both seem like same quality of firearm. Not trying to change topics, but if I were to get both I'd get a nine and .45.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Really? This one again? Not to be rude, but this question has been asked and answered so many times it is not even a legitimate question anymore.

There are countless threads here that address the question.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Closed Thread