Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The sig 2022 took about 500 rounds for me to like it. I don't get real excited with sig's until you get to the 226. Glock is a love it or hate it gun. Their ugly but they do shoot well out of the box. I used to be a big Glock guy and still own a 17' 19 and 34. If you go with Glock, my recommendation is the gen 4, 17. If you want a better shooter for a few pennies less, CZ PO1 or PO7 Duty. If you can find them, I also like the steyr M9A1. It what a Glock 17 should have been. I have seen them as cheap as $399.99 but since they are importing them again, they are going up in price. I really like the trapezoid site and the ergo's, are great. I use my steyr as cw some times as I like the change things up every once in a while. Finally, I really like the FNX9. They are vying for a mil contract so they have added a lot of features to the weapon. Decocker/safety, thick barrel, pica tinny rail etc. Of all of my Tupperware, this is my second favorite weapon to carry. I still prefer steel over poly as I shoot competitively. But for carry, poly is lighter.

Order:
1. CZ PO1 - btw, they make a steel version of this gun and also a custom out of the cz custom shop in Arizona. But you better plan on spending at least 1'200.00 to start for Angus Hobdell to build one for you.
2. FNX9
3. Glock17
4. Steyr M9A1 - accessories are a challenge to find but they will fit in some Glock 17, 19 holsters
5. CZ PO7

Old 01-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #72

Liked 3560 Times on 2216 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

I can't believe this thread is still going on. Did you guys miss this post from the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
After firing many rounds through many guns, I settled on the S&W M&P. It felt the best in my hand and was the most comfortable to shoot.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep this list, since one of the suggested guns will end up being my second 9mm....
I guess the thread can be used for future people who are curious... But still.

Always have clean socks.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #73
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2068 Times on 1426 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Default 9mm Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
I can't believe this thread is still going on. Did you guys miss this post from the OP? I guess the thread can be used for future people who are curious... But still.
We have seen lots of new 9's here this week,..including the Sig 3 series Striker fired.....
I also like the R51 concept, very concealable.....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 01-25-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #74

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Stoeger 8000F 9mm. I have owned it for almost two years, I shoot it every week, and it has over 3900 rounds through it. It's not full size, 3.5 barrel. It's currently under $400.00. Do some research on it, it's made by Stoeger Industries in Turkey, on Beretta dies. Stoeger is now owned by Benelli. It's a little big for CC,for me anyway. My CC is a Beretta Px4Storm SC. Both great guns.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #75

Liked 1232 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I am looking at buying a 9mm (my first). I am leaning towards something standard/full sized and polymer. My list so far includes:

Glock 17
Sig Sauer 2022
S&W M&P series

Are there any others worth considering and test firing?
Of the three you listed I am not knowable of this specific Sig, but Sig's in general a very good guns. I can tell you that MANY people have shot my M&P who have owned other top line guns and all but one shot it better and liked it better than the guns they owned or were issued for duty.
If you have access to a range which allows you rent and try various hand guns I suggest you do that. REMEMBER, the most important point in using a hand gun for self-defense is HIT PROPABILITY so get the one you shot best!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-31-2014 at 02:30 PM.
wittmeba Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #76

Fnh fns!

Sent from my XT1032 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #77

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have the Beretta PX9 and love it. Soft recoil, very sweet trigger.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:54 AM   #78

Liked 994 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Lots of people recommend the G17. I like a gun that points towards the target naturally. The G17 points at the ground in my hand. I am not the only one that has this issue with the G17. Hickok45 has the same issue with the G17. Lots of people I shoot ZSA with have pointing issues with the G17. The G19 points naturally towards the target. I have no problems getting a solid grip on the G19.

I really like the M&P. The M&P shoots really well. I am not used to pistols that have a manual safety. I don't want to be fumbling with the safety in a high stress situation. I had no problem with the safety in matches but I am not sure I could disengage the safety with someone trying to bash my brains out.

Over the winter I shot matches with my friends pistols. I shot the fastest time with a Beretta 92fs. The Beretta has a decocker om the slide that is behind my thumb. Some range/safety officers make up their own rules and insist that people engage the decocker on the 92fs and Ruger P95. I don't always have my friends there to ensure I get a fair shake, so I had to rule out the Beretta.

In the end, the G19 suited my needs better than any of the pistols I shot.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-30-2014 at 02:13 AM.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:04 AM   #79

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

John... I am not a Glock fanboy myself but your statement seems flawed to me... first and foremost is that the G17 and G19 are designed with the same grip angle. The big difference between them would be the longer grip and slide on the G17 which, as I see it, provides more for your hand to hold on to and a longer sight plain for the open sights. Secondly, the grip of a Glock is steeper than nearly all of its competitors so if the natural pointing of the firearm is anything it should be high, not low. All I am saying is that I find your comment a bit questionable. That said, the Glock 19 is, in my opinion, less awkward looking and more high speed in appearance than its longer brother...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #80

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Let me also state, I'm not looking for an arguement but rather sharing my observations from some first hand use and extensive 9mm shopping of my own. I will say that gen 3 vs gen 4 made a bigger difference to me than 17 vs 19. Either way I chose something very not Glock...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app