Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   9mm Suggestions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/9mm-suggestions-101936/)

Beezer 12-24-2013 02:22 AM

9mm Suggestions

I am looking at buying a 9mm (my first). I am leaning towards something standard/full sized and polymer. My list so far includes:

Glock 17
Sig Sauer 2022
S&W M&P series

Are there any others worth considering and test firing?

JonM 12-24-2013 02:29 AM

xdm needs to be top of the list. they are supperb 9mm's

another couple of damn fine ones that blow away the ones you listed are the berretta m9A1 sig p226 and cz75b even though they arent polyguns your doing yourself a disservice by not considering them.

magnumman 12-24-2013 02:30 AM

There are lots of others to consider. If you have the opportunity to test fire them, I would shoot every full sized poly 9mm you can get you hands on. Pretty much every company is making a gun in that genre. My favorite that is not on your list is the Beretta px4.

Mercator 12-24-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezer (Post 1465917)
I am looking at buying a 9mm (my first). I am leaning towards something standard/full sized and polymer. My list so far includes:

Glock 17
Sig Sauer 2022
S&W M&P series

Are there any others worth considering and test firing?

Springfield XD and Beretta PX4. There are also models from Taurus, CZ, Ruger, Bersa, Walther, also the Baby Desert Eagle, too many to remember, but the Glock and the 2022 are hard to beat.

JW357 12-24-2013 03:31 AM

As others are saying, there's lots of good choices.

My wife has a full sized M&P9. We both really enjoy shooting that one. I could talk about its great qualities all day, but since its already on your list, you probably already know what I would say.

Good luck in your decision.

CrunchyFrog 12-24-2013 04:16 AM

I think starting with a full sized gun is smart, and 9mm is a good choice. Even if you limit your field to polymer guns there are lots of good choices including the ones you listed. I would recommend that you decide which action type you prefer between striker fired, SA, DA/SA, and DAO.

If you think you might get into competition shooting, check the rules to see what is appropriate.

Consider price and availability of magazines and accessories.

aandabooks 12-24-2013 04:27 AM

I've owned several 9mm handguns over the past couple years. I currently have an XDM 5.25" and a Glock 17. I've had a Ruger SR9 that is a great gun at a reasonable price, FNX that wasn't up to snuff for competition, M&P that I sold privately for a price I couldn't pass up and a LC9 that didn't fit me right. The M&P is the one I miss most. At one time I was completely without a 9mm but had several thousand rounds loaded.

9mm is kind of a weird round to buy a gun that is comfortable to every user. I find the 115gr cartridges to have more snap to them than the 147gr. Unless your a handloader the 147gr is hard to find commercially. You'll need to try out different guns as the fit is greatly different between makers.

VoxRomantic 12-24-2013 04:31 AM

I have the XDM 5.25 and a Browning High Power. Love both!!!!!

WillWork4Ammo 12-24-2013 06:54 AM

Hmm,do you want Striker Fire, Single Action/Double Action,Single Action Only?
The Glock 17 is a great starter 9mm.So is the Glock 19 which is a more compact version of the 17.The Sig is great as well.
CZs are worth looking into http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/?ballistics101.com

Although not a polymer gun,the Beretta 92FS is also one you can look at too.Shoots great ,very simple to field strip and clean.And it's reliable as hell and tough.The military uses it and is designated as the M9.

DrFootball 12-24-2013 09:17 AM

Any of my 92 pattern guns...my Ruger SR9& LC9,.....and the BHP. I'd also like 9MM 1911 one of these days. MzGrn loves her SP101...