Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   9mm purchase Sig or M&P (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/9mm-purchase-sig-m-p-77259/)

DarinCraft 11-28-2012 12:27 AM

9mm purchase Sig or M&P

I am going to buy a 9mm and was looking at either the Sig (226 or 229) or a M&P 9.

I know it is a matter of preference on my part. My question is whether there is something I need/should know about any of these pistols. I am a little partial to the MP only because I am building an AR with a MP lower.

Thanks
Darin

sdiver35 11-28-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft
I am going to buy a 9mm and was looking at either the Sig (226 or 229) or a M&P 9.

I know it is a matter of preference on my part. My question is whether there is something I need/should know about any of these pistols. I am a little partial to the MP only because I am building an AR with a MP lower.

Thanks
Darin

I have a P226 and M&P 40, but for carry the M&P is a better choice. I prefer the p-226 for the range and both are great pistols.

DarinCraft 11-28-2012 03:31 AM

Thanks. This will not be an EDC. I have numerous others for that. This is going to be a range plinker (hence the 9mm) and maybe underwear tactical commando at 2 in the morning. I like variety and these are two brands I don't have.

I had my mind made up on the MP, however my ol' reliable places I purchase from don't sell the MP. I know I can find it somewhere else, but it made me wonder why the MP isn't available, when it seems the SIG is everywhere.

robocop10mm 11-28-2012 01:03 PM

I am a factory trained armorer in both. IMHO the Sig is a fine pistol, but way overpriced.

Olympus 11-28-2012 01:36 PM

For a range gun, the Sig would be my first choice. Can't beat an all-steel gun. Plus in believe the Secret Service carries a 229 as their main sidearm.

SigArmored 11-28-2012 01:52 PM

I own a Sig 226 and have had plenty a chance to shoot the M&P both are great shooters.I would definitely give the P229 a feel it's just a smaller version of the 226.But if you're looking for the most bang for you're buck and you don't mind striker fired pistols with the M&P.However there is the Sig 2022 you might get a handheld on that one and see if it makes you're palm happy,it'll cost about what the M&P dose maybe a little less.

JimRau 11-28-2012 02:34 PM

I have both and I personally prefer the M&P, but you can't go wrong with either!:D

locutus 11-29-2012 09:57 PM

IMO, There's a great difference in overall quality.

The SIG is one of the finest handguns in the world. The M&P is a good solid weapon, but it's not in the same league with a SIG. Not even close.

eborden1122 11-30-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft (Post 1029803)

Thanks
Darin

Very easy decision. Go with the Sig P226 or 229. Choosing between a Sig and a M&P is like choosing between a Colt and a Hi-Point......obviously this is a slight exaggeration but you get the idea. Shoot a P226 or P229 with a DAK trigger and you will never look back.

DarinCraft 11-30-2012 05:05 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. One thing I have noticed on the MP forum is the need for an after market trigger group even with the new models. I don't know if this is the result of people being particular or actual necessity.

I don't mind striker fired guns, I own a Glock:mad: and a couple XD's and they have never failed me. I am leaning more toward the MP because the price tag and I have found more people do admit the Sig is one of the best out there, however terribly over priced like the HK's. Whereas the MP is a good gun at a reasonable price. As far as who issues Sig's, I TRY not base quality on what LE carries. My department carries Glock's and the FBI carried Glock 20's for a while. Proving LE buys the best cheapest, not the best without regard for price. Afterall, most LE drive Crown Vic's and if you've ever driven one or better yet been in a pursuit in one you definitely understand they are the cheapest.:D