9mm for ccw? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm for ccw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
NO CALIBER WARS!!!!!!!

I carry a H&K PSP P7 (9mm) at times, just as I carry a DW C-BOB in 10mm at times, or my Ed Brown Kobra Carry in .45.

Depending on circumstances, I may carry a .380, or a full size 1911.

Don't limit yourself to one firearm or one caliber for CC or SD.
well said Dan. be proficient with whatever you carry, and don't limit yourself if you don't have to. there is nothing wrong with having options. and if you do own several different pistols in different calibers, then practice with all of them on some type of regular basis to remain proficient with all of them.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #22

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

9mm is primarily what I carry. If I can do full size I may step to a .45. In hot weather when I can't carry anything as big as mid sized I go to a .380.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #23
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 896 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 419

My preference would be .45 acp and I own a couple of compacts, Para-Ordnace P-10, Taurus Millennium-Pro but in my world where I'm in and out of public buildings all day concealment is priority.
That being said at work I carry either my LC9 or my PX4 sub-compact in 9mm loaded with Hornady Critical duty rounds.
I do not feel under-gunned with either.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23
How many carry 9mm for ccw? I was thinking about maybe getting on(I carry .40 and .45acp). I seen this nice FN at the shop for under $600. I know a lot use 9's for the range but what about carrying? thoughts? suggestions?
Because I don't yet have my CCW permit here in Kalifornia, I don't yet carry. But the gun I have bought, and selected for carry, is an M&P9c. I love it. Such a sweet shooter.

When I lived in NC my CC piece was a Taurus PT140 in .40 S&W. Not a terrible budget gun, but there's a reason why I chose to no longer carry it.

I definitely prefer shooting the 9mm nowadays. The defense ammo we have bought for it is Hornady Critical Duty. Bought it in the midst of this shortage. I'm not sure what pre-panic prices were but we paid $25 for a box of 25. I figure for premium defensive ammo, $1/round isn't a terrible price, especially with a shortage on hands.

I don't put much stock in the caliber wars anymore. I used to, and that's why I originally opted for the .40. Now I feel like the differences, if any, are negligible at best. There are still certain rounds I don't think are adequate for social work, though.

9mm is an excellent choice for anyone because of the light recoil, which translates to faster target reacquisition, good capacity, and (in normal times) cheapness in training.

FNs are quality firearms. I'm not sure what they go for but that seems like a reasonable price to me.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #25

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23 View Post
How many carry 9mm for ccw? I was thinking about maybe getting on(I carry .40 and .45acp). I seen this nice FN at the shop for under $600. I know a lot use 9's for the range but what about carrying? thoughts? suggestions?
If you shoot a 9mm well then it's fine. Lot of dead people form a 9mm. So it seems to do OK.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 846

I carry a 9mm because it is the largest caliber I can comfortably carry in my pocket.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3186 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 2065

LC9 in a Desantis Nemesis, right front pocket. Comforable, light weight, dependable & lethal.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #28

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I alternate between 9mm and .45ACP for carry. With modern JHP ammo either one will perform about as well as a handgun can be expected to.

Full size, double stack 9mm pistols (such as the Glock 17 or Sig 226) can be difficult to conceal without the right clothes but mid size and compacts (such as the Glock 19 and 26) are excellent choices for IWB carry. If you want to pocket carry I'd look into one of the current crop of compact, single stack 9mm pistols (such as the Ruger LC9 or Kahr CM9).

Last edited by mdauben; 07-01-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #29

I think 9mm is best for conceal carry. Load it with hst federal ammo and your good. You will have more control then a 40 or 45 because you can set up for another target easier because of the less recoil. And you have more power then a 380 or a 22. I would recommend a 45 or 40 as a weapon for the car or desk. And a 380 as a secondary backup weapon.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Thanks for the input gents.....I definitely want a 9mm to add to the family; just for some variety. I know i said that FN but, I've wanted the M&Pc for a while so i think when the funds are there, that's what i want.