Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 9mm CCW

I noticed that Springfield just came out with a new XD, the XDs .45 ACP. I saw a youtube video from NutNFancy's visit to the SHOT Show 2012. The term 'Single Stack' was used to classify the handgun.

Does 'Single Stack' refer to the clip/magazine? I only have hands-on experience with a Glock 22, its a buddy's gun, I'm assuming that that clip/magazine is a 'Double Stack' because the witness holes; is that correct? Also assuming, that a 'single stack' clip/magazine isn't a new thing what manufactures make a 'single stack' 9mm? I'm open to any make not just Springfield or Glock.

Kevin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Single Stack/Double Stack refers the the alignment of the bullets in the magazine. Single Stack allows for a slimmer handgun grip. It also allows less bullets in the magazine.

Most all 1911s in .45 are single stack. I can't speak to other calibers.

I looked at a Kel-Tec 9mm awhile back that had a single stack mag.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Single Stack/Double Stack refers the the alignment of the bullets in the magazine. Single Stack allows for a slimmer handgun grip. It also allows less bullets in the magazine.

Most all 1911s in .45 are single stack. I can't speak to other calibers.

I looked at a Kel-Tec 9mm awhile back that had a single stack mag.
my sig 239 .40 is a single stack

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1707 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 541

If you are looking for a small carry 9mm, look at the Kahr 9mm's and the Ruger LC9. There are several more out there but these are good ones. There will be some other opinions on other mfg. If larger, there are several 1911 style 9mms.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The xd's are fine pistols but they do tend to weight more than many like sized pistols. Lot at Kahr , KT amd Ruger.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #7

Liked 4516 Times on 2186 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

After 16 years of CCW and having carried everything from a full size SIG 226 to noisy crickets like the NAA Guardian and several 1911's I can tell you that the most effectively concealed weapon I've yet totted is my Kahr PM 9 carried ITP in a belly band rig w/1 back up mag.

This gives me 14 rounds of 147 gr 9pm in a package that is shootable, concealable, and of adequate stopping power assuming well placed hits.

It took 12 years and about 7k spent on guns and holsters to reach this conclusion but it was a fun journey and one I do not regret.

A former draw back to Kahr pistols was the price but their new CM line puts them right in line with other builders. Google PM9 VS CM9 for an explanation of the differences between the 2 lines. Personally I wish the CM's had been available 4 hrs ago when I got my PM. Could have saved $250 and had just as good a gun.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

I like the Walther PPS. Less than an inch thick and available in 9mm & .40. Have the 9mm. Comes with three magazines - 5/6/7 in single stack. The 5 shot is about an inch shorter than 7 shot. Good for CCW. 7 shot as back up...if ever needed weapon is in hand and concealed is out the proverbial window.