9mm carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 9mm carbine

ive been looking for a reliable 9mm carbine that is in my price range of $450 dose anyone have a suggestion,thanks

ps. please dont reccomend the hipoint carbine ive already heard about it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've found the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 to be an outstanding firearm. It costs about $350-400, is ultra-reliable, available in 9mm or 40sw, is super light and compact, and can accept very high capacity (31rd Glock) mags.

Is this a great gun? I like it. It's not going to out-ballistic any true rifle cartridge like 7.62x39, 5.56, or 308...but it's a great utility plinker, survival rifle, and fun woods gun. Sort of a tamed down poor man's AK47. Basically, if you appreciate it for "what it is", it's pretty cool.

I'd imagine 9mm JHPs going 1300-1600fps (with high accuracy to 100+yds and minimal recoil) makes for a potent package. They're going to hit with the energy of 357mag pistol, if defense is a consideration. This gun folds in half and could easily be tucked under/behind most car seats, if your state allows that with proper licensing.

I have some nice and relatively expensive firearms, and the Sub2000 surely isn't one of them. But I can't see myself parting with it anytime soon. Its size, reliability, and simplicity have made it one of my primary home defense options.

This rifle probably doesn't have any true calling in the shooting world. But it is an affordable utility rifle that can serve a variety of purposes.

Last edited by sweeper22; 08-20-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

JR Carbine Products

Check these out, they are advertisers on the forum.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #4

the keltec is nice!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default JR Carbine

Looking at the website. So its built in NY but if you live here you can't buy one? AM I reading that right?

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 08-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #6

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Do you have a 'spare' Glock or a 1911?

MechTech - Home

Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #7

Default JR Carbine Available in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdee View Post
Looking at the website. So its built in NY but if you live here you can't buy one? AM I reading that right?
Hi Culdee,

My name is Miranda. I am the managing partner of Just Right Carbines, and one of the designers of the JR Carbine.

To answer your question, our carbine is available in models for unrestricted states, restricted states (CT, MA, NJ, and NY), and for California. We also export to Canada.

You can buy through a dealer - and I can find one for you in your area - or direct from us (but transfer must still be done through an FFL near you). If you are close by you could even come to our factory in Canandaigua and we would handle the transfer directly.

Thanks for your interest,

Miranda

Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandab View Post
Hi Culdee,

My name is Miranda. I am the managing partner of Just Right Carbines, and one of the designers of the JR Carbine.

To answer your question, our carbine is available in models for unrestricted states, restricted states (CT, MA, NJ, and NY), and for California. We also export to Canada.

You can buy through a dealer - and I can find one for you in your area - or direct from us (but transfer must still be done through an FFL near you). If you are close by you could even come to our factory in Canandaigua and we would handle the transfer directly.

Thanks for your interest,

Miranda

Hi Miranda,

I have been told that your carbine is adaptable to other magazines due to the module magwell design. Can you confirm this and also specifiy which mags will be supported? I have a Beretta M9 and would love to use the Beretta mags in the carbine.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
Hi Miranda,

I have been told that your carbine is adaptable to other magazines due to the module magwell design. Can you confirm this and also specifiy which mags will be supported? I have a Beretta M9 and would love to use the Beretta mags in the carbine.
Hi Jismail,

At the moment we offer the JR Carbine in a Glock-magazine model only. We have also designed a .45ACP 1911-magazine based model which is in final production and will be shipping in the middle of this month.

We designed the JR Carbine to be modular, and with the flexibility to adapt to different calibers and magazines. Offering different calibers is not so much of a challenge as long as we limit ourselves to cartridges that are amenable to a direct-blowback, non-locking bolt design. The only other limiting factor cartridge-wise is market demand; at the moment our sales volumes are nothing compared to the major manufacturers, and our R&D resources are much more limited than theirs. We have to tailor our product development to the cartridges and magazines most in demand by the shooting public.

Unfortunately, the advertising and promotional efforts of our former west-coast distributor (from whom we have recently parted company) tended to give the impression that the JR Carbine is more readily - and more easily - adaptable to a wider range of cartridges and magazines than we ever promised. (Caliber conversion is not difficult and can be done at your kitchen table, but advertising that our gun "easily converts" is an oversimplification.)

As a result, we regularly receive inquiries asking when we are going to offer the JR Carbine both in cartridges that the design is not suited for, and in magazines that, while popular, are not so widely used as to justify the considerable investment that R&D and initial minimum volume production would entail.

For example, the S&W M&P is definitely a popular handgun, but not yet so much that we would feel confident producing a minimum order on spec. We prototyped a magwell for the M&P magazine at the request of a national security company whose 5000 security officers carry the M&P pistol chambered in .40S&W. At this time they are still deciding whether and when to purchase M&P-configured JR Carbines to complement their security details. Until they or someone else places a sizable enough order for the JR Carbine in the M&P configuration the design will remain in the prototype stage.

As for the Beretta M9, I personally like the gun (and carried it in the Coast Guard), and a lot of other people do as well. We are continuously evaluating our product mix relative to market demand, and we will probably consider the M9 platform in the future. At the moment, though, we are focusing on the .45ACP-1911 rollout, and then on the .22LR and .22WMR cartridges (currently in development).

I hope this adequately answers your question. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything else I can do for you.

Best regards,

Miranda

Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #10

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Don't forget highpoint's carbines, low cost and work well.