9mm, 40s&w,45acp? Is there really a best? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm, 40s&w,45acp? Is there really a best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpirate14 View Post
Honestly, people are being too particular about calibers for concealed carry. The fact of the matter is if you practice often enough, it should only take one shot to stop someone and almost anything larger than 25 auto will do it.
Quote:
I'm not saying rely on one shot. I'm simply saying one shot can do it and the 9mm can be as effective as a 40 or 45. Because chances are that methhead you speak of won't be wearing a kevlar vest. And before trying to degrade someone's knowledge of ballistics, you need to fully understand what they're saying.
Quote:
My way is the same as yours. What I was implying in my first comment was that many people are being too picky when it comes to the effectiveness of a 9, 40, or 45. They will all get the job done. Never did I say rely on one shot. I feel that you're bent on arguing something so I hope at least someone else gets what I'm saying.
these are your words as you stated, "it should only take one shot to stop someone, and almost anything larger than a 25 auto will do it" then you reverse yourelf and state, " I'm not relying on one shot. I'm saying one shot can do it." i do agree with this in a sense. one shot could do it if shot palcement is perfect. yes, and even any caliber could do the job if it hits the right spot to do enough damage. but my point is, i would never consider one shot to eliminate any threat, that is intent on doing me harm. i want him shut down quickly as possible. multiple shots insure more massive and quicker blood loss.

i will stand by my original theories, of carry the largest caliber you can shoot accurately and control. shot placement is critical and more important than the size of the caliber you carry. well placed hits with even a smaller caliber are more effective than misses with a larger one. i also believe practice is a key element in being able to hit your intended target accurately.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

I'm an old school fan of the 1911. It's actually what I started out with, then got away from them. Currently have two .40's, both high points, but my sons can drive tacks with them, and I have an XD 9 myself. It's a fantastic firearm, accurate, easy as anything to clean, but...well, I miss the feel of a 1911.
I'm doing some online reviewing to determine a low cost 1911 that will fill my desires and needs. Also debating on going with the 3.5" vs the full size.
I prefer full size, but then you have to carry it, and, even at my size, that seems to be my biggest concern. I'm not small. I stand six six, but it's still a lot of steel.
That, and I know as soon as I buy myself a 1911, I'm going to have a fight on my hands, as my son wants one as well.
springfield champion, 4.25 inch...easy on the bank and I've never had any problems with it. I got it used and at first it didn't like hp ammo but the feed ramp was in bad shape. Polished it up and it'll feed anything I wanna put through it

forumrunner_20120311_113814.jpg

Old 03-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #53

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I carry the Phoenix HP22 with Federal hollow points. If I had to pull for personal protection, the perp can rest assure that I would empty the clip.