9mm or 40 cal - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm or 40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2370 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 679

In a compact pistol, the 9mm would be easier to control and cheaper to practice with. I bought my wife an SR9c then got one for myself after she let me shoot it. They come with a 10 and a 17 round mags. Both of ours have been flawless in operation.
Personally I would rather shoot a 45 than a 40. I have a Glock 36/45ACP and it smaller and is easier to shoot than the Glock 23/40SW. Obviously I am not a 40 fan even though I have one.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #12

Walther PPS with 9mm +p is very adequate for defense.

.40 is an outstanding round but quite snappy.

It really is going to boil down to your comfort level, hand size - even your style of dress must be taken into account.

Find an indoor range with gun rental...dont worry too much about the performance of the gun in that it may not be adequately maintenanced depending on the shop.

but look for feel, sights, etc.

Lifetime NRA Member
Paul Harris Fellow - 3 Diamond Level

Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
In a compact pistol, the 9mm would be easier to control and cheaper to practice with. I bought my wife an SR9c then got one for myself after she let me shoot it. They come with a 10 and a 17 round mags. Both of ours have been flawless in operation.
Personally I would rather shoot a 45 than a 40. I have a Glock 36/45ACP and it smaller and is easier to shoot than the Glock 23/40SW. Obviously I am not a 40 fan even though I have one.
Been looking at the sr9c..thanks for the info..

Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #14

this is a tough arguement. i have a Beretta INOX 92 fs 9mm and i love that thing, its extremely accurate but... its not a compact. I have three 40 s&w pistols and love them all. My personal carry that is in a shoulder holster 75% of the time i leave the house is a Smith & Wesson M&P40 full size it has a 4.25" barrel but is very easily concealed also very accurate. the M&P 40 is also made in a compact so something to look into. The other 25% of the time my personal carry is a Glock model 27 40s&w subcompact. I love this gun because it is small and very concealable yet very accurate. It is something i would definitely look into if compact carry is what you are looking for. The last 40s&w is a Springfield armory XDM and i havent really played around with it much yet but it seems to be a very nice well designed pistol and the nice thing about this gun is there is a clip for compact a clip that will give you a full grip.

Hope this helps.