9mm or .40?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm or .40?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 9mm or .40?

Im planning on getting a Walther P99 in one of these calibers. It will be used for hunting, target shooting, and home defense. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #2

You can't go wrong with either caliber. The 9mm ammo will be cheaper and you'll probably find better availability depending on where you go.

I personally prefer the .40 = more zip

Old 08-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #3

I own a guns in each of those caibre. I like the .40 better though. It is a little more pricey than 9mm, but not enough to prevent me from shooting the .40. And capacity is almost the same too...

Glock 23
Smith & Wesson New 520
Taurus 651
Taurus PT92

Old 08-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Don't be influenced by cost of ammo when considering protecting your life and the lives of your family. 40 caliber out performs 9mm and is an excellent self defense round. If you want cheap ammo for practice, get it, but for carry ammo, don't go cheap.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 9 vs 40

Well said pioneer. You can't put a price on your life or loved 1s lives. The .40 s&w greatly outperforms the 9mm there is no comparsion. I would also suggest you check out .45 acp as most semiautos that come chambered in .40 also are chambered in the time honored proven stopper .45 acp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Don't be influenced by cost of ammo when considering protecting your life and the lives of your family. 40 caliber out performs 9mm and is an excellent self defense round. If you want cheap ammo for practice, get it, but for carry ammo, don't go cheap.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:35 AM   #6

Good choice. The P99 is a great handgun. I've never had any type of malfunction at all with my P99 in .40. It is among my favorite carry guns.

I like .40 and I like 9mm. There is good ammunition available for both that make either just as good for self defense as any other caliber out there. There is 9mm ammo available that will "outjuice" some .40 ammo.

Most people realize that it's all about placement anyway.

As far as hunting goes, I guess it would depend on what's legal for handgun hunting in your state. Those calibers might or might not be legal.

Hope you enjoy whichever P99 you get.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 9mm vs 40

The ONLY way that a 9mm will "outjuice" a .40 is if you compare the crappiest 40 to the hottest,best 9mm loading. You forget that a bigger frontal area and more bullet weight matters more than other factors

Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #8

9mm is good. I used to have a Browning Hi Power and loved it. I now conceal carry a Sig Pro 2022 in 40 S&W. It's carried in a concealment T-shirt from www.ConcealmentT.com. It's a fine gun. In fact, I'm going to buy a 357 Sig barrel for it soon.

Member GCO

Last edited by Chuck; 11-01-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #9

the comment on the 45acp---
the saddle will be different thus
it is all in how it fits your own hand

Attitude is Everything

Old 11-02-2007, 04:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The ONLY way that a 9mm will "outjuice" a .40 is if you compare the crappiest 40 to the hottest,best 9mm loading. You forget that a bigger frontal area and more bullet weight matters more than other factors
Okay, then you agree with what I said. I said some, not all.

And this:

"that a bigger frontal area and more bullet weight matters more than other factors" is pure opinion, not fact. Ask the Texas DPS why they dropped the .45 in favor of the .357 SIG. They aren't as smart as you?