9mm ? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 9mm ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2849 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
Thinking about what i wrote i now see it is confusing, the point i was trying to get across was both the blazer and police ammo were 124g FMJ with the same BALLISTICS ( to include powder load) but one have a pressure warning but no +p and the Blazer not have anything if that makes sense.....i know what the grain is
First off, the term "police ammo" can be a marketing ploy to convince you it is some how "better" than civilian ammo. Just because it says police ammo does not mean it is actually used by police, anywhere.

Where did you get the information about the ballistics? You are assuming they have the same ballistics which would require they have the exact same bullet or bullets with the same ballistic coefficient. If they had the same "advertised" velocity, it is just that...advertised. How they actually perform in a given firearm depends.

Unless they are both made by CCI/Speer they almost assuradely do NOT have the same powder charge. CCI/Speer uses powder made to their specifications. It may be the same powder tht is used by company "B" but in all likelyhood not. It is powder made for them to their specifications.

+P is a term that is defined by SAAMI, but misused by many ammo makers. SAAMI specifies a max chamber pressure for 9mm ammo as 35,000 PSI and 9mm +P as 38,500 PSI. There is no standard for +P+. If ammo is loaded to 35,001 PSI it should be labeled as +P. If a company normally makes ammo that generates 32,000 PSI and this load is 34,500, they might label it as having "more pressure". It is not, however, +P.

Not all ammo or firearms manufacturers are SAAMI members and do not neccessarily comply with SAAMI reccomendations.

To complicate matters, not all calibers even have a "+P" standard. I have seen .40 S&W ammo labled +P when no such standard exists. I have heard people refer to .45 Colt (Long Colt) +P. There is no such animal. If ammo is loaded hotter than the "standard" some are inclined to label it +P. It may be

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 04-13-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
This is very true, especially when handloading the same type and weight of bullet with different types of powder. P+ loads like those used in .38 Special are often a step between a standard .38 and a .357 mag. A good example of different powders under the same type bullet, from the Hodgdon's manual. 180 gr. bullet for 40 S&W cartrage, using 800-X powder putting the bullet out at 1030 feet per second the pressure is 26,000 psi and using the same type 180 gr. bullet with Universal powder the bullet is traveling only 16 fps more but the pressure is 33,400 psi. Perhaps the greatest difference in pressure is due to the speed at which the powder burns, Universal is #26 on the burning rate chart and 800-X is #32, which is slower. Universal powder probably creates it's highest pressure right after the primer goes off and drops as the bullet travels down the barrel and 800X being slower burning probably carrys it's high pressure throughout the bullets travel down the barrel. Sometimes slow burning powders create spectacular fire balls at the muzzle because they have not been fully burned in the barrel. I've seen H-110 powder, #49 on the burning rate chart, create a bright fireball about the size of a soccerball.
+1 on the fire ball from H110 . I use it in my 44 mag and in low light it is realy impressive.
I like the slower burrnig powders because you usualy get lower pressures from them which intern put less stress on you firearm.
My 2 cents F.K.