You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

9mm ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Default 9mm ?

I am new to owning a 9mm but i saw somthing that confused me, i picked up a box of Blazer 124g fmj, but while i was looking around i seen a box of police 9mm ammo that was 124 grain and the warning was along the lines of, this amunition has more pressure then normal amunition and should only be used in specialty firearms, now the Blazer i picked up says nothing about it being +p so i was wondring if a 124g round has more pressure then regular but not enough to be +p and if it is safe to shoot on a regular basis out of my Taurus millenium pro.

EDIT: (read 3rd post cuz i explained this one confusing)

Last edited by deathkricket; 04-12-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 AM   #2

Liked 61 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Weight of bullet doesn't have a bearing on pressure, the P+ has a higher pressure powder load and usually a considerably higher foot per second and foot pound energy level. Your firearms owners manual should have info as to your weapons ability to handly a P+ ammo.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #3

Cool i though so but a guy in the gun store said they had the same ballistics but none of them said +p and it just confused the crap out me because i was wondring how one can have a pressure warning and the other dont and why it even has a pressure warning but no +p on the box of the police ammo.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The grain is the weight of the projectile/bullet. Your picture appears that you are in the Army, something I expect that was taught to you at basic. +p is all about the powder and will be clearly marked as +P. As mentioned check your owners manual to see if your firearm is able to handle +P.

Always good to have another WA member and if your in the service, thank your for your service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #5

Thinking about what i wrote i now see it is confusing, the point i was trying to get across was both the blazer and police ammo were 124g FMJ with the same BALLISTICS ( to include powder load) but one have a pressure warning but no +p and the Blazer not have anything if that makes sense.....i know what the grain is

Old 04-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
so i was wondring if a 124g round has more pressure then regular but not enough to be +p and if it is safe to shoot on a regular basis out of my Taurus millenium pro.
this was a assumption that some people might know the ballistics of the Blazer 124g FMJ none plus +p ammo

Last edited by deathkricket; 04-12-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
Thinking about what i wrote i now see it is confusing, the point i was trying to get across was both the blazer and police ammo were 124g FMJ with the same BALLISTICS ( to include powder load) but one have a pressure warning but no +p and the Blazer not have anything if that makes sense.....i know what the grain is

That is confusing. Same weight,same everything,but one warns or high pressure?? I wouldn't worry about it though. I shot plenty of it through my pt111 when I had it, but I never shot any +p through it. I didn't like the way it handled range ammo...nonetheless....

Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #8

Cool, i dont know what brand that police ammo was, all it said was police 124g fmj, 9mm and thats all, i was wondering if maybe it was old ammo or something back when 9mm couldnt handle todays loads, but that makes no sense as im sure the gun strength hasent changed...

Old 04-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

It is possible to have the same grain bullet at the same velocity with different pressures.
Different types of powders have different burn rates and can generate more or less pressure to generate the same velocity.
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 04-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #10

Liked 61 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
It is possible to have the same grain bullet at the same velocity with different pressures.
Different types of powders have different burn rates and can generate more or less pressure to generate the same velocity.
This is very true, especially when handloading the same type and weight of bullet with different types of powder. P+ loads like those used in .38 Special are often a step between a standard .38 and a .357 mag. A good example of different powders under the same type bullet, from the Hodgdon's manual. 180 gr. bullet for 40 S&W cartrage, using 800-X powder putting the bullet out at 1030 feet per second the pressure is 26,000 psi and using the same type 180 gr. bullet with Universal powder the bullet is traveling only 16 fps more but the pressure is 33,400 psi. Perhaps the greatest difference in pressure is due to the speed at which the powder burns, Universal is #26 on the burning rate chart and 800-X is #32, which is slower. Universal powder probably creates it's highest pressure right after the primer goes off and drops as the bullet travels down the barrel and 800X being slower burning probably carrys it's high pressure throughout the bullets travel down the barrel. Sometimes slow burning powders create spectacular fire balls at the muzzle because they have not been fully burned in the barrel. I've seen H-110 powder, #49 on the burning rate chart, create a bright fireball about the size of a soccerball.