642 airweight .38?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 642 airweight .38?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 642 airweight .38?

Anybody carry the J-frame 642 airweight .38? I am a Glock man but wanted something light and easily concealed. The 642 fits perfect in a pocket holster and weighs only 15 ozs. .38 +p pack a pretty good punch as well. I have been real happy with mine. Any suggestions on speed loaders or strips?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #2

I carry a S&W model 37 Airweight .38. It fits so well inside my belt that sometimes I forget it is there. I use a small Bianchi IWB leather holster. I much prefer it to strapping on a Glock or my new Springfield XD. My only complaint is that on occasion I get poked by the hammer. If I were to buy another one I'd probably go hammerless next time.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #3

I carry a 642 on my ankle and sometimes IWB. It's light and small. I'm happy with mine.

L1

Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 642

642 or 442...everybody who carries oughta at least try out a J-bird! Superlight, always goes bang and oh so damn easy to carry.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 637, and while it is easy to carry it is certainly not easy to shoot accurately, especially rapid fire or at longer distances.
It takes lots of practice (which equals more range time, ammo, and $$$) to become proficient with a snub-nose revolver.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Default S&w 637

I have a 637 that i wear in a don hume IWB holster. Its very comfortable.
As for shootability. Iv had a glock 17,23 a walther ppk , sig 239, m&p 9c among many orthers. I have alwase come back to one of the airweights either the 637 or the 642. It is without question, that it is tied as the most accurate hand gun i have ever owned. I once posted a vidio on youtube where I shot a 2.5" group at 23 yards free hand. If you practice with this gun you will be a far better all around shooter than if you went on to somthing else. SPEED is not realy an issue either. I can shoot five rounds at a 15 yard target as fast as pretty much any orther pistol that I named. If you dryfire alot and get used to the trigger you can become fast with it. [B]Reliability is great no ftf no fte. Every subcompact pistol i have owned has malfunctioned, Walther ppk, Keltek p11. Well there are orther options for sub compact semi autos i have never seen one that has never malfunction. Draw speedas it pertains to concealed carry can be no faster than with a revolver worn on the hip (IWB). The reason for this is you have a cylinder that is up against you body. The grip at this point is not up against you body like a semi auto would be. So you have a easy target to wrap your hand around.

For a CCW dont know of a more accurate, reliable, fast to the draw gun than a S&W snub nose

Old 01-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #7

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I bought the wife a 442 for her purse complete with CT grips -
I thought it was perfect but she never grew to like it
Its a great dependable pretty accurate revolver - period

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I bought the wife a 442 for her purse complete with CT grips -
I thought it was perfect but she never grew to like it
Its a great dependable pretty accurate revolver - period
She probably did not like the trigger pull like my wife. Mine loves her SR9c. She hates the double action or long trigger pulls. She is happy with a single action or a good striker. I have been looking at the 642/442 for myself. I dont care for the Ruger LCR Or the new S&W Bodyguard 38.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #9

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
She probably did not like the trigger pull like my wife. Mine loves her SR9c. She hates the double action or long trigger pulls. She is happy with a single action or a good striker. I have been looking at the 642/442 for myself. I dont care for the Ruger LCR Or the new S&W Bodyguard 38.
Small world
My wife did hate the DA pull on it (any DA revolver for that matter)-
She's been carrying a SR9C for allmost a year now & loves it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET